Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:01pm
Quote: To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Versatility - Voicemail probs and more (Read 27956 times)
Imtired
GDPR opt-out

BT Versatility - Voicemail probs and more
Sep 6th, 2010, 8:18pm

Hi to all.
I am new to the this forum but it looks the place to be.

I have been given the job of sorting out a BT versatility telephone system. It has two ISDN modules (two NTE 8) and allocated with 10 DDI numbers with up to 59 programmable extensions of which only 12 are used.  All extensions use a V8 feature phone and all work on Group 1.

Problem 1. The system is set up for voicemail to Divert on no answer. But it doesn't. Re programmed to Divert on Busy - it doesn't. The incoming line just keeps ringing.  If I retrieve possible messages I can access the voicemail box for it to tell me there are no messages.  Checking the extensions Voicemail from phone 20 indicates that they are all 00 messages.
The owner assured me that the system was working fine until someone tried their hand at programming. Hmm not good and I cannot seem to restore the voice mail.

Problem 2. I asked the owner it the programming extn could be reassigned to a point away from his office and that was done.  The programming extension was moved from 020 to 032 (Just thought - does that move it out of the default allocation of 8) However as soon as that happened Line 1 and  Line 2 became restricted on all extns. Looked into that under restrictions and no lines are restricted.  Pressing 9 for the outside line still works as does Line 3 and Line 4.

Not sure if these two are related but have posted for the sake of completeness.  There is another issue that some external callers have suggested that they have to call twice. The first call never makes it and they dial the same number again and it gets through.  Incoming calls can access Line 1 and Line 2 but they cannot be selected internally.

Can someone also explain what Access1 and Acess2 are - they keep popping during programming checks.

This is taking me a long time to try and sort - it may be a programming error or worse still a module failure.

Please accept my apologies if I have overcooked the content. Looking forward to any assistance.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: BT Versatility - Voicemail probs and more
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2010, 8:45pm

Access 1 and Access 2 simply refer to your two ISDN lines.

Are you sure the soft keys 1 + 2 are programmed as CO Lines?  Do they still light to show the status of the line?

Are you sure you have the ISDN lines configured correctly?  PtoP or PtMP?  If you have one set incorrectly, those two lines would not be available for outgoing calls, and inward calls would miss the system (hence dial the number, nothing, hangup and dial again you get through).

What voicemail box are you trying to sort?  System, group or extension?  Have you checked the delay timer for the divert on no answer?  Have you actually programmed which lines will be answered by the voicemail?  You don't just select groups or an extension, you have to select which lines too.

Not worked on one for a good few months so my memory is slipping a bit!

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2010, 9:37pm

Hi Lectrician
My goodness how quick was that. Many thanks for getting back so fast.

I will go and check all this first thing in the morning.

No sure if  the line 1 and Line2 keys are programmed as CO lines -- they do not select nor do they light up when pressed.

I think the ISDN are configured as PtoP but will check tomorrow.

The voicemail. Which box am I trying to sort. This is my problem just now. The owner first told me that he had lost the voicemail and I assumed it was from his extension (he normally has Extn.020 but I have that now on Ext.032) and I checked that he still had Ext.020 set for voicemail as well as three other extn. They have the black diamond set against them. Since then he says all the extensions have lost their voicemail - but that can only be himself and the remaing 3.

As for the Group or System voiceboxes I am not sure - Which should I be looking at first?

The delay timers appear to be at their default settings.

Am I correct in thinking that because the system is working on Group1 then that is what I should be programming.

I have the feeling I am feeding the elephant at the wrong end.

I wonder if you could just outline a voicebox programming routine as to what bit to do first: extn, group, line or is it group, line then ext. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Anyway, brilliant. I shall report back tomorrow.
Thank so far. Good work

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2010, 1:18pm

@Lectrician. Hi again. difficult week, could not get near the kit until today and only for a brief moment.

The soft keys are programmed as lines. On any extension pressing either Line 1 or Line 2 shows RESTRICTED on the display but neither line shows any status light.

ISDN programming.  It is set for Point to Point but Access1 has the black diamond and Access2 has the clear diamond. I had time enough to set both Access1 and 2 to black diamond - system reset but still no Line 1 or 2 - both say restricted. Then set Access1 and 2 to clear diamond. System reset but still no Line1 or 2 - both say restricted. I have left the system as found.

Both NTE8 have been tested by a BT man and they have been reported as working correcty; both showing green led.

Didn't have time to look at the voice mail issue.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2010, 4:26pm

The ISDN Access should be set to Point-to-Point for most systems, and I would put money on them both being Point-to-Point on yours.

P>P Accesses have no diamond.
P>MP Accesses have a diamond.

Make sure under ISDN>T/S settings that you have the lines set for T and not S interfaces.  Accesses configured as a T interface have no diamond. Those configured as an S interface show a diamond.

As you have two ISDN carts, and two NTE8's, you could swap the patch leads from one to the other to see if the fault follows the line.  Then try swapping the two red carts over.  Sounds more like a programming issue though.  I assume the NTE8's LED is static?

Are the To terminating dip switches set correctly on the NTE8 and the MDF inside the versatility?

Assuming you have a single patch lead from the versatility to the NTE8, the terminating resistor switches should be OFF in the versatility, and ON on the NTE8.  If you use long ISDN extensions, or use structured wiring, the switches would need altering accordingly.

You haven't got them programmed for incomming calls only?

When someone is using the line, do the buttons light up on all phones?
When a call comes in, does it ring in on those lines, and cause the buttons to light up?
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2010, 4:30pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2010, 5:20pm

Managed to get back to equipment as they 'who are in charge' have gone home.
Ran through the list:
You were quite correct, Discovered that ACCESS1 was set for incoming calls only. Cleared that and quickly rechecked. Brilliant. Both lines are now active. Will chech etxns tomorrow - offices are locked now
The system is set as T0 in and the terminations are correct as you stated.

Lectrician. Thanks very much for your help. I will still need to get to grips with the Voice mail but that will be later. At least they have four lines for tommorow. Brilliant.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2010, 6:30pm

It's always the obvious that you miss Grin

Perhaps you have not set which lines are to respond to voicemail correctly - this may be why some callers do not get through 50% of the time.  It goes to voicemail, which you have not setup correctly/yet.
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2010, 6:32pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2010, 10:51pm

Thanks again. Yes indeed it is always the simple things.

Now that the lines have been re-established my next task is to figure what was changed with the voicemail settings.  I rather fancy that some unfortunate person tried to program the system and it got away from them.  I am making a hard copy of all the settings (LINES and SYSTEM from extn 20) so that it can be referred to if it goes horribly wrong again. If I have time I would like to look at each extn and log their individual settings. It may be a wasted exercise but it sets it all in stone.

Whilst in the equipment room I took a quick look at the PC hooked into the system. I was surprised to see that the settings bore no resemblance to the system programming from the extn position. The call logging side was working just fine.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2010, 6:35am

If there is a PC hooked up and it has the programming software on it, you can download all the settings to back it up, and also obviously ammend settings far easier than using the V8 phone.

You can also copy the file and email it for assistance Wink

IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2010, 9:43pm

@Lectrician. Good evening. Couldn't get back on the kit today but asked one of the guys to get me a copy of the most recent backup file. Got that and need to send it to you.

I noticed that is is an .XML file so that got me wondering if this could be edited outside the BT Versatility system with a XML parser app then saved as whatever.xml and that file used as a restore file.
My guess is that the parser tree view might allow parts of the  file to be viewed so that a better picture could be gained when viewing the myriad of settings. Just thoughts.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2010, 9:58pm

You can edit it with a simple text editor if you know what you are looking for  Wink

There are many options which cannot be turned on through the V8 or the software, and which BT or any other company will charge mega bucks to enable.......

You can email me by looking in my profile, or the button at the bottom of the post.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2010, 10:11pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #11 - Sep 13th, 2010, 4:45pm

@Lectrician.
It was reported this morning that the primary number was not ringing in although the exchange was ringing out. Managed a more in-depth study for the ISDN set up. Discovered a mismatch in the P->P setting. This Versatitly / ISDN is working P->MP so changed both ACCESS1 and ACCESS2 to show the black diamond. Ensured the system did a warm reset.
Tested by siezing Line 1 and made a call on the primary number from a mobile and this rang-in on Line 3.

So yes, you were correct. The lesson is to make sure both ACCESS1 / 2 are set the same for the system requirement.

The voice mail will work only from the extensions. i.e manually diverting a call from the keypad. It still does not work automatically even though the system timers are set correctly as are the Groups and Lines.  An incoming call will not divert to voicemail after the 11 second timer has timed out.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2010, 6:29pm

Looking at the backup file you gave me, the lines where all set to P-P which is the usual (99%) way a PBX system will have the lines presented.  Very rare to see a PBX provided with P-MP lines!  

P-MP lines are used more where you use seperate ISDN phones or terminal adaptors, and do not use a PBX.  The Versatility is one of the few systems which can use P-MP lines aswell as P-P.

Looking at the backup file, you only have the voicemail enabled for lines 1 and 3.  You need to enable them for 2 and 4 also.

You have not got any of the ring groups set for voicemail.  Not sure if you want the groups diverted to voicemail or just individual extensions (as in DDI's, or MSN's as they should be known as you have P-MP).

Is the voicemail only working when you dial an extension internally, on when dialling it from outside?

A quick note on P-MP vers P-P.  You will have TWO pilot main numbers, one for each access.  You will not have a single number that will ring on all 4 lines.  This also goes for any MSN numbers - they will be tied to the specific ISDN line they are associated with.  This is a poor setup for a PBX.  You should have P-P to give a single main number across all 4 lines, and allow the DDI's to ring in ony any line too.  This would explain why dialling your pilot number hits line 3 (the first of the second ISDN).  You MUST have a seperate number for lines 1+2.

This may have been done because you have two businesses in the property?  One using one line and one using the other?  This would allow seperate billing for account purposes.  If this is a single business, I would suggest having the lines changed to p-p.  This is a simple thing for the provider to do, and is usually done overnight, thus requiring a quick programming chance in the morning.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2010, 6:33pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #13 - Sep 13th, 2010, 8:17pm

Thanks for taking time to trawl through the config file.

Points noted.  I will set the voicemail for lines 2 and 4 and check with the owner if he needs the groups enabled for voicemail. Also I will look at each extension.

The voicemail only works if it is manually diverted from the extension - but that could have that the incoming call was on line 2 or 4 at that time. I shall enable the lines up tomorrow and retest.

Your comment about P-P versus P-MP  is very interesting and thanks for including it. I must find out what the pilot numbers are and how many.

You are spot on in your analysis. Apparently the building was shared with another business and when they left some 6 months ago the system was reprogrammed by an outside contractor and has never been quite the same.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2010, 8:59pm

Quote:
You are spot on in your analysis. Apparently the building was shared with another business and when they left some 6 months ago the system was reprogrammed by an outside contractor and has never been quite the same.

That would make sence then - one company paid for one line, and the other company the other.  They would use their lines for outgoing, and their lines would ring for incoming.  The two lines would have two seperate numbers and two seperate bills.  They could have still have been presented as P-P though, although if they wanted less than 10 DDI's, P-MP would have been cheaper at the time (most providers now allow you to purchase DDI's in groups of less than 10).

You currently have two completely seperate 'pairs' of lines.  One with one number and one with the other.  There is infact a chance that one line is P-MP and the other P-P, especially if billed seperately.

It would be best to change to P-P, and this would usually not cost.  Worth a phonecall.  You would then have a single main number which would ring in on lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and the DDI's would also ring in on either line.

If you dial out on line 1, 2 you should see the main number for that ISDN line.  There is no programming in the config file which sends a specific number as the caller ID number (you can select which number is presented to people you call for caller display and 1471 etc).

IP Logged

Imtired
Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2010, 6:34pm

Before I ramble on I need to say a big thank you to Lectrician. With your help and guidance the system is now responding correctly. I could not have do it without your help. First class.

I was still concerned about the incoming numbers. Armed with your information I soon discovered that - yes there were two lines on the original installation but on the changeover a new dialling plan was obtained from BT. The new plan allowed for one single number and 10 DDI.

I have reprogrammed the system for ACCESS1 and ACCESS2 to be P-P and tested by dialling in the single number and the DDI. The system now works as you predicted.

I have also set up Group1 and Group9 voicemail together with the assigned extensions and tested them. Yes we have voicemail.

My final task is now to make sure the dialling plan is what they need for the building and to set up the Group / Extensions for voicemail.

However. One thing has cropped up today - I'm sure I didn't see it before and it is in the ISDN area. A menu selection called 'commission' or similar. I didn't take much notice of it but I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday.  ??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

For This Post: 1

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2010, 7:04pm

If you did any defaulting, the commission system message may be present on ext20 inplace of the date/time?

If it is, you need to commision the system (basically logging the system with the BTs old RACE system).  You use the commission menu to do that - you enter the main phone number as the ID etc.  The system then grabs a line and connects to BT, the commission message then vanishes.  This is simply done so BT know when a system has been installed and finished when installed by them, but running the commissioning routine as a private installer has no backlash at all.  You can remove the commission message by editing the XML file too, but easier to let it run through!  If you don't have the mesage on ext20, you have no prob anyway!  Even with the message everything will continue to work.  The menu option will have always been there (I am pretty sure).

Glad you have it sorted and have sorted out the numbering.  Rare to find that the system will respond in both P-P and P-MP, you will usually find it will function with only the correct one.....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print