Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:17pm
Quote: My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Home made kitchens and windows advice (Read 31164 times)
angelboy
GDPR opt-out

Re: Home made kitchens and windows advice
Reply #17 - Sep 15th, 2010, 8:28am

Thank you for your response, it was very relevant to my question.

The last project was over 12 months ago and the majority of purchases were done through the main builders merchants not wood merchants.

I was just trying to get some thoughts and some basic rule of thumbs before I start planning in any detail. As soon as I know what materials I'll be using then of course I can cost it but I wasn't intending to produce a quote only a rough estimate.

The whole point is if I find out that the cheapest bespoke kitchen would cost, for example, £30,000 and instead I could make it with a little sweat and blood, over no fixed timescale and to 80% the quality, but a quarter of the price with a full asset based workshop where costs can be recouped at project end, then I'll go for it!

Same with the windows. By the time I'll get round to it then the dust will have settled in the industry and the LA will know exactly what advice to give to which I can then work out a route based on the above theory.

I have no fixed timescale for the bulk of the building. It's not being run like a commercial project. I would rather it take 5 years of graft, learning and mistakes than to give the greedy bastard banks all my money for the next 25 years.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2010, 8:31am by angelboy »  

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Home made kitchens and windows advice
Reply #18 - Sep 16th, 2010, 7:32am

If the walls are already going up then I'd buy the windows to be sure they are all in by the time we loose the weather. I'm already concerned I won't get my outside painting done in time this year.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:33am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print