Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:25pm
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cat5e switches ect (Read 15954 times)
wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Cat5e switches ect
Jul 11th, 2011, 9:38pm

Got a customer thats taken over a premises, their hub (a BT supplied one) is on the first floor in a office.  They have a number of cat5e's left in coils over the other side of the building about 17m away, never terminated.  They now want to start using these cat5s (the other end are terminated in some dado trunking) .  

I wouldnt usually bother with this type of job but ive done a few very small data installs in houses and ive been installing loads for others to terminate at a new build for HDTV distribution, data and IR distribution, others will get to do the fun bit.  So I would like to expand my knowledge a bit on this one, if you boys think im capable.  

Whats the best way to go about this one?

The computers (4) are for some  kids to surf the net.  

I have equipment to test the polarity of the cat5 but thats it.  

Any ideas please.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 1

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Re: Cat5e switches ect
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2011, 6:32am

The BT 'hub' will have a 4 port switch built in, so four ports to connect PC's too.  Move the hub to where the coils of cable are, pick the four you want, put RJ45's on the end, and plug them in!  Moving the hub would involve moving the phone line, or installing an extension obviously.

You could also leave the hub where it is and run a network cable from there to the coil of cables.  Install a network switch at that location.  Switches come in different sizes, for 4 PC's you would need atleast a 5 port switch (4 PC and 1 uplink, the uplink will be autosensed and and can be plugged into any port).

For simple internet access, there is no point getting a gigabit switch as the network traffic will bottle neck at the BT hub anyway.  http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=236052&Ca...

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2011, 7:28am

What he said.

I would go for the switch and leave the BT hub where it is near the master phone socket. Extending CAT 5 is less likely to effect broadband speed than a phone extension. The switch will need a power point (but so would moving the BT hub).

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2011, 7:29am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2011, 7:02pm

Thanks lads.  

I forgot to say the 4 pcs have two datas each so i need at least 8 ways, I would like to give them a few extra so looking at at least ten.  Th hub has two plugged in it already so i would like to run a cat5 from the hub to the coils then crimp the ends with suitable rj45s (solid ones).  

So the switch just runs off one cat5e point?

So for my shopping list would this be any good?

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/hub-916s/16-port-10-100-ethernet-switch/dp/CS09478

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/fu6/wall-cabinet-6u-450mm-deep/dp/CS13819

http://cpc.farnell.com/sentinel/106-080800-34/rj45-plugs-solid-wire-cat-5/dp/CN0...

A cabinet or shelf is need as where the coils are is the mains intake I cant believe how expensive they are!

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2011, 7:45pm

If you are going to put a cabinet in, I would terminate your cat5e's onto a patch panel, and then patch them into the network switch.

Yes, the network switch is 'fed' with a single network cable from your BT router or 'hub' as they like to call them.

I would prefer to see a branded name for the switch, but thats being picky really.

For smaller home office and small office environments we have used these in the past:

Select the 24 port switch option - Complete with cabinet, patch panel and switch, £118 + vat.  

http://www.comms-express.com/products/6u-patching-cabinet-kit/

Need some patch leads too, and these days they are dirt cheap - 30p each.

http://www.comms-express.com/products/booted-rj45-patch-leads/

Why have they got two LAN ports on the machines?
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2011, 7:53pm by Lectrician »  

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2011, 7:55pm

I think a cabinet is needed as there is crap (toys ect) all over the floor, so something needed and im crap at putting up shelves!  Smiley

I made off a patch panel when a apprentice I think it was self explanatory.  

I will try to spec a decent system, I would like the job but busy enough so dont care if it turns out its more than the 20 other quotes they will probably get!

What do most people do about testing the system just do a polarity and functional test and all done?

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2011, 8:06pm

For small jobs, just use a standard tester which tests pin to pin, crossed pairs, open and shorts.  Something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-network-cable-tester/93219

For larger jobs we have hired a high frequency tester which also checks the speed/bandwidth.  They also produce a certificate for every port!  A quick google shows this:  http://www.testerhire.co.uk/equipment.html

I would not bother for your small install though, just check your pinouts as per my first link.

I edited my post above while you posted - why have the PC's got two LAN ports?  This will not improve internet traffic.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2011, 8:23pm

As I thought then mate, I have a similar tester.  

I wont bother testing just wanted to know I would be doing the same as everyone else.

They just have two rj45 ports next to a double socket in the dado, I though I may aswell get them all working in case they add more PCs.  

At the moment they are using dongles I believe.

The cabinet you linked to is cheap compared to CPCs, it doesnt say which brand of switch it comes with, do they come with decent ones? I will probably ring them tomorrow for a quote.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2011, 8:38pm

The switch is a cheapy one, but we have three installed locally and not had issues.  For a job like this a cheapy switch would be fine.

It is common to put two ports adjacent in the same faceplate, and these should all be punched down on the patch panel sequentially, but I would only patch in the ones that are required.  Leave spare patch leads for if/when the others are required.  Thats the whole point in a patch panel.

IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2011, 9:19pm

Yeh ive always wired them in pairs.  

I was going to number them all on the faceplates then identify them at the panel.  

I think I will allow £190 in mats and a day and half labour should be able to make a neat job out of it.  

At least this way they will have what seems to be a half decent system that easy to expand.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print