Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:10am
Quote: How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting a sink into a worktop. (Read 11701 times)
Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Cutting a sink into a worktop.
Jan 8th, 2012, 8:43am

I have a single wall in the utility which is to have a couple cupboards, washer and dryer.

Due to the lack of space, it is an 800 unit in the middle, with the washer and dryer either side.

The sink that the kitchen co. supplied has a cutout of 815, so it would protrude into either the washer or drier space.  This just doesn't sit right with me?

I have sourced a sink which will fit an 800 unit, having a cutout of 780 ish mm I recall, and so have ordered one, but I keep going back to the other one in my mind and wondering if I could cut the drainer over the washer/drier space, covering the cutout with some hardboard or thin MDF or something?  The sink from the kitchen co. came as part of a 'cash' deal so difficult to return!

Thoughts?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Cutting a sink into a worktop.
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2012, 11:01am

Most if not all INSET SINKS , are thinner than the worktop, so NO PROBS!!!
If it can be used either way round (drainer left or right, ) i would position in over the washing machine as less heat is produced above the machine....than the tumble dryer... (even a condensing one)

There is absolutely no harm in putting a drainer section of a sink over other items, in fact the norm of a well thought out design.... as it will allow a better position for the sink bowl itself, allowing easier to install, and maintain plumbing...only muppet designers place a 990 sink directly over 1000 base units, making it really awkward to get to the clips, pipework willbe stuffed tight to a corner etc...how often have we come across this ...groan!!!

my normal method of doing a job like this Lec, is cut out, and fit the main sink, having checked for any clashes of the retaining clips , and tap tails, (remember to really well seal the raw edge of the cut worktop in the sink cut out)... with the worktop and sink, inverted, you can then tighten the clips without killing your self, then carefully turn back over and  install, with the aid of a second pair of hands, then install the worktop to cabinets, install the main plumbing, insert the white goods and plumb in the washer.....

an over hung drianer example...

hope it helps....
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2012, 11:03am by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2012, 1:22pm

Cheers.

I assume you cut right through the worktop over the open space, and not rebate?  Rebating sounds a tad risky to water absorbsion.

What do you recommend to seal the cut with?  In my last house I just put loads of decking end preserver on it as I had loads!  I then used some cloth tape over the top as it seemed belts and braces.  Is there anything specific?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2012, 1:51pm

Yep, cut cut clean through the worktop, obviously being carefull as it is now weak until the sink is affixed....

normally we use either a god oil based paint (we have a can of old gloss white for the job,) or a sanitary based silicone...  then as we install the inset sink, we apply a CLEAR SANITARY sealant to the underside edge, of the sink and allow to "bead out" and trim off carefully when set!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2012, 2:36pm

The very last job I did for a pying customer (actually a friend) was to help him fit out his kitchen, except that he insisted on doing everything himself because he wanted to "learn on the job". Made sense because he was renting the place out and would probably end up having to deal with any call-out in the future anyway.

I showed him how to mark out for the cut-out for the sink and showed him how to use the Scorpion saw to make the cut. Fine. I told him to cut it and then wait for me to help him lift it into place when I got back from town, fetching the pasties and sticky-buns for snapping. Got back to a distraught bloke with the two halves of the worktop on the floor in front of him. He thought he'd be clever and lift it into place himself as it only involved lifting it onto the cabinets at either end.

A worktop thus cut will break if you so much as look at it the wrong way.  Roll Eyes

All good fun.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print