Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:26am
Quote: You can keep quiet & let everyone think you're a fool or you can speak and confirm their thoughts.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kitchen Worktop (Read 10429 times)
Bayden_Rank
GDPR opt-out

Kitchen Worktop
Jan 25th, 2012, 10:09pm

Following on from the helpful response to my earlier request does anyone have any experience of dealing with 'Worktop Express' please. Prices look good and the reviews are also good but hoped someone on here may have a view?

Got to find an alternative installer for the worktop - been quoted £340-00 for Supply and fit of 10 metres x 50mm x 18mm [Oak] length of upstand over and above the quote for the worktops from the guy our Kitchen designer advised us to use.

Many thanks

Bayden
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012, 10:30pm by Bayden_Rank »  

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Kitchen Worktop
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2012, 11:01pm

he'd have to machine the oak, to get it 50 x 18mm as most comes in a min width of 115mm x 19mm   x 2.4 m and that even if using the cheap junk euro oak,  is £28 +vat   he'd probably have tomachine  that piece down to get the 50 x 18 you want  

so to get your 10 lin metres he's going to have to buy 3 pieces, and machine that into the 14.4m of oak, and out of that you may be lucky to get your 10 decent metres, so there is £100.80p before he's even machined it, and as oak kills a good blade due to its density, he's going to mark up the machining of it.... so your getting near to the £200 before he's even got it to you.....

seriously decent timber is not cheap any more.... just had to pay £75 for a 12mm sheet of maple veneered ply... SCANDALOUS!!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2012, 11:03pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2012, 3:01pm

Many thanks for your response - read your posts over the years and respect them.

My main question is about whether anyone has had experience with Worktop Express though. I only gave the costs as my reason why.
By the way I am not specifying the size of up stands that was down to the supplier - 19mm would suit fine. A local supplier of timber - soft and hardwoods has quoted Circa for stock thickness £58-00 (supply only) machined (one corner with radius).

Again thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2012, 3:04pm by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2012, 3:49pm

Firstly, thank you for saying so... Quote:
Many thanks for your response - read your posts over the years and respect them.
  makes answering questions worth the while and effort...

i have had a word around and a couple of installers in know have actually used them, and found them to be quite good, prompt with delivery etc: and as one of them ponited out, they do e-bay selling as well, and with over 4000 postive feedbacks, and a 100% rating at that amount, means they must at least care, or put in the effort...

and looking at their site a while ago, at least they make the effort to use matching colours of timber when doing tops AND upstands, unlike some i could mention..(had the embarrasment of installing an Ikea set up a while ago, nice(ish) oak tops, but with very pale white european oak upstands, looked manky)...

the local supplier, did the say if it was the cheaper euro oak?? as for the 18 or 19MM i was not worried about the depth,(very few would know the difference visually)  but the fact that most decent (and hardwood) timber supplied (except softwood battens etc) is normally over 115mm wide hence the machining to size....

hope all this helps....

p.s, the only non positive feedback supplied was nuetrals, left by mistake....

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2012, 1:24pm

Many thanks for your reply I am extremely grateful. Not certain of th source but they do stock quite a range of hardwood as well as softwoods.

Just had the guy who will install the worktops round and getting a really good feel. Will shed no tears when we see the back of the poorly installed laminate worktops we currently have.

Again thanks.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2012, 1:29pm by Bayden_Rank »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2012, 1:50pm

I've used Worktop Express quite a few times and their service has been excellent.

I've had beech and oak worktops off them and the quality has been very good. I always get the prime oak though, I don't think it is worth the saving to go for the cheaper option.

Hope that helps

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2012, 3:04pm

woodsmith wrote on Jan 28th, 2012, 1:50pm:
I've used Worktop Express quite a few times and their service has been excellent.
Hope that helps

And that ....as they say, is a damned good reference!!!

afternoon WS!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2012, 3:05pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2012, 9:33am

Morning Mr Wolf, yes, they are prompt with delivery and if you order above a certain size they send a van with 2 men so they can unload it themselves. Top rate!

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2012, 9:34am by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2012, 10:41am

Well then, thats another online company to add to my "approved list"  thanks WS...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print