Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:11pm
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the best material to make a table top? (Read 3708 times)
Julius2012
GDPR opt-out

What is the best material to make a table top?
May 22nd, 2012, 3:58pm

i have read to use mdf 25mm and laminate the top, 18mm marine ply also the sink cut out of a kitchen worktop, this top will need to have a T track fitted into it for a mitre gauge and was going to bolt the router underneath without using a plate, i would then get an extension for the collet to get the bit to the right height.
thanks in advance and open to critisism

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: What is the best material to make a table top?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2012, 6:03pm

MDF is probably your best bet, an 8x4 sheet of 25mm is very heavy but you could get a sheet of 18mm and double it up to give you 36mm?

A router table needs to be dead flat so if you are going to laminate it ideally it needs to be done both sides to keep the top in tension.

I would fit a plate too, the router will put a lot of stress on any fixings which could be a problem with MDF.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Julius2012
Re: What is the best material to make a table top?
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2012, 4:28pm

woodsmith wrote on May 22nd, 2012, 6:03pm:
MDF is probably your best bet, an 8x4 sheet of 25mm is very heavy but you could get a sheet of 18mm and double it up to give you 36mm?

A router table needs to be dead flat so if you are going to laminate it ideally it needs to be done both sides to keep the top in tension.

I would fit a plate too, the router will put a lot of stress on any fixings which could be a problem with MDF.

great advice

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print