Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 12:53pm
Quote: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paint stairs (Read 8043 times)
young senior
GDPR opt-out

Paint stairs
Dec 30th, 2012, 9:35pm

Have close fitted stair carpet. Need to paint side of riser and tread that form part of the stair case. Don`t want to lift carpet.
Is it pratical to seal between carpet edge and wood to stop paint marking carpet.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Paint stairs
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2012, 10:52pm

Yes you can get a good quality masking tape, stick it over the edge of the carpet and then push the edge of the tape down between the carpet and stringer. It should completely enclose the carpet, put more tape on if there are any gaps pushing it well down into gap between the carpet and stringer. Then paint away being careful not to use so much paint that it gets under the tape.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

young senior
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2012, 4:04pm

Thanks Woodsmith for advice.

Masking tape is sold in DIY stores ,however I want to ensure I buy a reasonable grade tape.  If I buy from a decorators trade shop will this be better quality. Any specific masking tape you can suggest?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2012, 4:42pm

I bought some from Toolstation and it was utter rubbish, so its probably best avoiding anything you can't try. If you go into a decorator's trade store and tell tham what you want it for they should be able to advise you; it needs to be reasonably thick and very sticky some masking tape, like the Toolstation stuff, has hardly any stick. Get it reasonably wide to make sure you don't catch the carpet with the paintbrush.

I have been using some blue (rather than the usual buff coloured) masking tape on the last job and that has been great, I didn't buy it though so sorry no idea of the make.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2012, 5:39pm

If you want the paint to be kept from the capet, try using a masking tape called "FROG" tape..

it works we use it for just this sort of application

link:  http://frogtape.com/Products.aspx

screwfix etc carry the stuff....

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2013, 3:01pm

woodsmith wrote on Dec 31st, 2012, 4:42pm:
I bought some from Toolstation and it was utter rubbish, so its probably best avoiding anything you can't try. If you go into a decorator's trade store and tell tham what you want it for they should be able to advise you; it needs to be reasonably thick and very sticky some masking tape, like the Toolstation stuff, has hardly any stick. Get it reasonably wide to make sure you don't catch the carpet with the paintbrush.

I have been using some blue (rather than the usual buff coloured) masking tape on the last job and that has been great, I didn't buy it though so sorry no idea of the make.

i think toolstation now sell the blue stuff

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print