Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 10:17pm
Quote: The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Should I Build Windows for Doors Later? (Read 2251 times)
oldwormfarm
GDPR opt-out

Should I Build Windows for Doors Later?
Apr 30th, 2013, 2:01am

My husband and I are building a 24x16 foot cabin. We'll be adding on a bedroom to the one room cabin after we have the cabin built. Will it be easier to install windows the width of the doors we will use later or does it not matter much down the road?

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Should I Build Windows for Doors Later?
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2013, 7:26am

I would imagine, without seeing exactly what you are planning to do, that it would make it easier if you have a window fitted, so you just cut away below it to fit a door later, but would it not be easier still to fit a door in the first place? You could always just leave it locked and not use it.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

oldwormfarm
Re: Should I Build Windows for Doors Later?
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2013, 9:35pm

I thought of that, but there will be two doors within a 16' span and both will be interior doors, while the wall will be an exterior wall. One of them will be french doors and the other will be a  small sliding bathroom door. My husband didn't think it would be much trouble to put the doors in later without the windows, but I guess I just thought it would be cleaner and potentially less prone to messing up the wall if we have the windows, and then we could use the windows on the room we add. Then again, maybe taking all of the moulding off the window and everything will be messier.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print