Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:38am
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sliding doors (Read 3556 times)
hannay
GDPR opt-out

Sliding doors
Jul 29th, 2013, 12:14am

Hello
I was wanting to make three sliding doors to fit on front of some shelves. I was going to make them out of 9cm x 1.4cm solid oak flooring that i had seen in homebase as it matches some oak furniture in the room. I was going to fix the oak boards to a 12mm mdf backing board with a lipping on both sides to cover the mdf. Would this work or would it be liable to twisting? Any other ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Hannay

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Sliding doors
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2013, 8:25am

I think that they would be very likely to pull themselves out of flat as the MDF would not have enough strength to stop the oak moving. You would be better off with an engineered board rather than solid wood, but even then it would be hard to guarantee the door would stay completely flat.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2013, 6:12am

What are the dimensions of the sliding doors?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

hannay
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2013, 8:58pm

Hello

Thanks for the replies woodsmith and joiner. I was thinking about using engineered board but have not managed to find one that matched as well as the solid oak, but will have a look at one of the bigger suppliers. The doors will be 84cms wide x 110cms high. Had thought about getting some oak to make a proper frame but the doors would be getting thicker than what i wanted them to be. Maybe oak veneered mdf is the only alternative, although i do not think it would look as nice.

Thanks

Hannay

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print