Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:30am
Quote: The grass is always greener when you remember to water it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Concrete or timber floor? (Read 2167 times)
bano70
GDPR opt-out

Concrete or timber floor?
Jul 29th, 2013, 3:55pm

I'm thinking of buying a 2 bed mid terrace (in the north east) and have had a survey. Apparently there is damp in the ground floor front wall and floor. The floor area is 14ft x 14ft, currently concrete and the surveyor is recommending hacking it all up to solve the damp. Would it be better to reinstate a timber floor (house dates from approx. 1900) or go with concrete again? Is there a big difference in cost between these two options? Will it all take a long time to complete? Can anyone give me rough idea of the costs involved as I need to re-negotiate on the price of the house to be able to do the work properly.
Thanks all, your input is greatly appreciated. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Concrete or timber floor?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2013, 4:33pm

If you fit a timber floor you will need to provide through ventilation underneath which may not be that easy. You say you have damp in the walls too, so you may have a ground water problem outside (basically the ground outside would be too wet and may need land drains fitting).

One possible alternative is to have the existing concrete floor asphalted where they lay a hot asphalt damp proof layer on top of the existing floor. This would not work though if the floor is saturated.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 1

Trade: Plumber

Re: Concrete or timber floor?
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2013, 5:12pm

You need to identify the cause first, it could be rising damp, penetration damp, or even a leak in one of the water services, or a problem with the drains etc.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2013, 5:13pm by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print