Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shed on smaller base? (Read 3347 times)
dwellernet
GDPR opt-out

Shed on smaller base?
Aug 4th, 2013, 5:26pm

Hi,

I have a pre-built concrete shed base measuring exactly 10x8 feet (landlord built so I cant add to it etc)

ideally I want to put down an 8x10 wooden shed, looking around affordable ones are hard to find and the one I found is 8.3 X 10 feet, otherwise I have to go a foot smaller but ironically thats more expensive!

The suggestion I have had is use treated bearers and then put the wooden shed base on top of this, this will mean the bearers will overhang the 10 foot side by one and a half inches on each side.

Will this work or is this a poor call and will make the shed deteriorate faster?

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Re: Shed on smaller base?
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2013, 11:18pm

Raising the shed up will probably extend it's life.  You could also consider putting lengths of DPC on top of the bearers.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2013, 9:15am

This should work ok, but you will have to look at how the shed needs supporting underneath, and so you will probably have to make a frame rather than just put some timber round the edge.

IP Logged

dwellernet
Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2013, 3:30pm

Thanks for the reply, the base is tongue and groove and under this thin strips of treated pine lengthways, I was looking at putting the treated bearers widthways so the sides should get the two way support on its sides, does this sound ok?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2013, 5:00pm

I would look to make a simple frame  of 4x2 treated softwood. I would make an outer rectangle the same dimensions as the shed and then make a ladder layout with timber running across the width every 600mm max (400mm max if you are planning to put anything heavy in the shed) I would screw it all together with some 150mm screws to stop them creeping apart over time and then screw the shed down to the frame through the floor.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print