Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:35pm
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Floorboards varnished... but wrong colour! (Read 3706 times)
mellis8
GDPR opt-out

Floorboards varnished... but wrong colour!
Aug 12th, 2013, 10:47pm

We've just had 100+ yr old floorboards sanded and varnished (clear) throughout the house. Sadly half the boards in main rooms are about 30 yrs old - they were put in because of previous damp problems and were treated so have come up greenish! Quite a bad contrast to the rest of the victorian flooring. We were on holiday otherwise we'd have had them stained to approximate the rest of the room.

We don't have time or energy to stand a re-sanding... but I know I can't apply stain over varnish. BUT is there a way I'm not thinking of? Would a tinted varnish (eg again from Ronseal) work? If so, anyone any ideas of which tint when mixed with greenish will look more like antiqued pine? Wink

Many thanks!

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Floorboards varnished... but wrong colour!
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2013, 11:28am

heeelllooo and welcome mellis8 Grin Grin Grin

unfortunately you cant go back green is a mixture off yellow and blue if i remember my primary colours rightly

you would need something perhaps with a brown colour to reduce the green but it will never cover it as its just an opaque colour wash to allow the grain to show through
something like dark oak perhaps but whatever happens try on a hidden area or offcut
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2013, 11:36am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Floorboards varnished... but wrong colour!
Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2013, 5:33pm

Red added to green makes brown, so if you pick a coloured varnish that is at the red end of the spectrum, cedar perhaps, it should help to offset the green tinge. I have never tried this though so definitely try a small unobtrusive area first. If it doesn't work then I would do as BA suggests and pick a very dark oak colour to obliterate the green tinge.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print