Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:25pm
Quote: Where exactly are the four corners of the earth?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Have I bitten off more than I can chew (Read 6545 times)
DevilIsInTheDetail
GDPR opt-out

Have I bitten off more than I can chew
Aug 13th, 2013, 9:53pm

So I've started this because I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  After an argument with the other half we've decided that we can't work together on home projects and have decided to take a project each.  We're not allowed to influence the decision of the other half.  She has taken the bedroom which needs the ensuite removing and the builders are coming in and I have the bathroom.  I however have been true to form more cocky and said that I could do it all myself without any professional (paid for) help.  The problem is that although I am quite handy I have very little experience in bathroom fitting and I am a procrastinator and want the very best product for the budget that my meagre wage dictates.  Apparently i'm allowed trades in for essential work... boiler stuff and building regs etc.  What have I got myself in to.  So I'm going to need some help and found this forum... which so far is helpful but I'm gunna ask a load of questions on here.  First question.... MDF in the bathroom... really?  I want to do some wood panelling around part of the room and have seen mixed replies, you see i'm leaning towards oak but the cost????

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Have I bitten off more than I can chew
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2013, 8:39am

As long as you get moisture resistant MDF and it doesn't get soaking wet it will be fine. In fact it will probably be easier to use than oak because wood moves with changes in moisture content which is affected by humidity so can be a big problem in a bathroom.

Good luck with the project and if you have more questions it would be a good idea to post them in the specific sections, we don't all look in the Just talk section.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2013, 12:39pm

I find mdf tends to move slightly with changes in humidity. Not a big problem but hairline cracks can appear at joints no matter how many times you try and fill them. So try to avoid butt joints between sheets. Perhaps cover with a moulding.

IP Logged

DevilIsInTheDetail
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2013, 12:56pm

Ok.  Thanks. i'm going to go for MR MDF and paint with a good acrylic paint.  All help duly noted.  I'm also going to take Woodsmith's advice and post in more specific areas although I will ask here too as you all seem keen to help.  Next is flooring... I would really like to have a wooden floor and have researched online and found contrary opinion about engineered wood.  Some say don't bother others say it's ok if laquered.  I think the look would be great and it is easier to lay than tiles and considerably cheaper. So again your help would be appreciated.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2013, 1:43pm

CWatters wrote on Aug 14th, 2013, 12:39pm:
I find mdf tends to move slightly with changes in humidity. Not a big problem but hairline cracks can appear at joints no matter how many times you try and fill them. So try to avoid butt joints between sheets. Perhaps cover with a moulding.

If you have to join MDF and think that the joint will ultimately show as a crack, the best thing to do is chamfer one edge before gluing. This will create a shadow line and will look a lot better than a crack.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2013, 1:55pm

Quote:
Ok.  Thanks. i'm going to go for MR MDF and paint with a good acrylic paint.  All help duly noted.  I'm also going to take Woodsmith's advice and post in more specific areas although I will ask here too as you all seem keen to help.

What I meant was post in the (for these woody questions at least) DIY Carpentry questions section of this forum.

Quote:
Next is flooring... I would really like to have a wooden floor and have researched online and found contrary opinion about engineered wood.  Some say don't bother others say it's ok if laquered.  I think the look would be great and it is easier to lay than tiles and considerably cheaper. So again your help would be appreciated.

Engineered flooring has a lot of advantages over a solid wood floor and few disadvantages. Just make sure it is of good quality and has a decent wear layer (that is a top veneer layer which is 3mm as an absolute minimum, some of the best have a 6mm layer). If it is too thin it is all too easily damaged. Pre finished boards have a very tough varnish factory applied and this certainly speeds up the fitting process although it doesn't look quite as good as a hard wax oiled surface IMHO.

Just make sure you follow all the fitting instructions and leave an expansion gap round the edges of the room.

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Have I bitten off more than I can chew
Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2013, 5:02pm

This Topic was moved here from Just Talk by Lectrician.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print