Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:12pm
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remove Chimney Breast from Terraced house (Read 10673 times)
quintain1
GDPR opt-out

Remove Chimney Breast from Terraced house
Oct 5th, 2013, 11:29pm

I am being asked by a relative to remove a chimney breast from a small mid terrace 3 story house at ground floor level only.

Is this advisable or even possible

I am aware that building regs and party wall procedures will need to be used, it is practical advice at this moment I am looking for.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 1

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Re: Remove Chimney Breast from Terraced house
Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2013, 8:42am

Anything's possible if you know what you're doing because you've done something similar in an identical (or at least VERY similar) situation before and have first-hand knowledge of the actual situation you're looking at. But even then I'd advise getting in a SE to advise, if only because this is a mid-terrace house and you need to cover your ass in the event that anything does go wrong and you need to call on someone else's 'duff-advice-insurance', otherwise known as professional indemnity insurance.

It might be your relative's house, but there isn't a family connection with the neighbours. And I doubt that the family relationship with the person wanting the work done will protect you in the event of any future adverse structural "developments".

You really need to provide pictures of the current situation and at the very least a rough sketch of what's there at present and what you intend should be the outcome. Oh, and explain why you aren't taking out the breast from the remaining two storeys and the roof space (and outside stack), given the consequent need to support all that (considerable) weight.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

quintain1
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2013, 10:18am

Thanks

A pretty full summary of my own concerns, I am leaning (running like hell) towards advising to contract the job out and let poor old bl**dy uncle Rick take a rest.

BUT I am also concerned that a contractor may bodge the job.

The stack serves a typical split chimney breast with one of the breasts (front of house) being left in place with a feature fireplace at ground level.

My early thoughts are to leave the stack with a wall support in the attic and remove everything below down to ground level on the rear breast.

I welcome any thoughts on best way to do the job or links to see how to do it (I will do a google search).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Oct 6th, 2013, 6:58pm

Just to let you know that old fashioned "Gallows" brackets at high level are now no longer allowed under building regs, any one who tells you other wise, is not telling you the truth..  

most councils now require a steel beam to pick up the front of the breast loadings, followed by concrete lintels and brickwork to pick up the side loadings...

such as...

Image 1Image 2

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

quintain1
Reply #4 - Oct 6th, 2013, 10:03pm

Steel beam supported on load bearing walls presumably.
Walls being no more than 3m apart??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2013, 7:40am

Usual spot-on post from Wolfie, which highlights the dangers of relying on a google search alone because following your stated intention I've just gone on, out of curiosity because I wasn't aware of the change in the Regs, and YouTube videos abound showing how to fit the very gallows brackets that are no longer allowed.

The following video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIcuVaVdu10

...was posted on June 22nd this year, 2013.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2013, 9:58am

Quote:
Steel beam supported on load bearing walls presumably.
Walls being no more than 3m apart??

YES, and the distance is all relevent to the size of the steel being used... the bigger the steel, the greater the span, then timber noggins followed by 2 layers PB or 1 fireline PB

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print