Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:07pm
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Overhead Door Closer - Difficult to Open! (Read 6689 times)
jazzyman

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Overhead Door Closer - Difficult to Open!
Dec 13th, 2013, 7:46pm

My elderly mother who is very frail recently had a new front door fitted to her rented property.  The door that was fitted was installed with an overhead door closer, which is proving a nightmare for my mother, because she is so unsteady and frail she cannot open the door without great difficulty, due to the tension in the overhead mechanism.

I am contacting the door fitters next week to see if there is anything that can be done, but I will probably be fobbed off, so are there door closers available especially designed for the elderly and disabled?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Overhead Door Closer - Difficult to Open!
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2013, 3:22pm

Firstly I take it the rented property is "PART" of a building or flats, with a communial hall/lobby ,hence the need for a closer  second,it should really be an internal door closer such as a "Perko"  for private dwellings....(the hidden "chain type" within the door /door jamb area) . and third and last.... it all depends on the brand, but most do have adjustment screws for the Push/pull to open phase of the door closers cycle... and for the closing/shut speed/pressure of the cycle...

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

jazzyman

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2013, 7:21pm

Yes the flat is one of a 4 apartment building with a communal corridor.  The previous door was fitted with the "perko" type door closer, so I cannot understand why an overhead closer was fitted.

I will mention this to the door fitter when I contact them tomorrow, another problem with the new door is that it was fitted with a door bar on the floor which is probably 25-30mm high, previously there was no bar.

Because my mother is elderly, infirm, practically blind this simple job is turning into a nightmare for her.  I believe that the other elderly tenant are also complaining of the same issues.

Are there alternative disability devices that can be used instead?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2013, 1:07am

jazzyman wrote on Dec 15th, 2013, 7:21pm:
Yes the flat is one of a 4 apartment building with a communal corridor.  The previous door was fitted with the "perko" type door closer, so I cannot understand why an overhead closer was fitted, It should be by building regs a perko type...the only reason a closer was fitted is either cheapness or just sheer laziness... or BOTH

I will mention this to the door fitter when I contact them tomorrow, another problem with the new door is that it was fitted with a door bar on the floor which is probably 25-30mm high, previously there was no bar. Again this should not be there by the latest building regs... Part-M Regulation Compliant, Wheelchair access, BS8300 ... any new replacement doors/frames etc should be a "Flush" bottom fitting..  such as the following link..and fitting the door bar (which is really a weather proofing item) at this point in time actually breaks the current building regs.... get it removed...the landlord has a legal obligation to comply.. especially if collecting rent...

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/seals_for_doors_and_windows/threshol...

Because my mother is elderly, infirm, practically blind this simple job is turning into a nightmare for her.  I believe that the other elderly tenant are also complaining of the same issues.

Are there alternative disability devices that can be used instead?

hope the above assists........

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

jazzyman

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2013, 7:03pm

Thanks for the informative reply, most helpful.

The high threshold bar does appear to be breaking the Part M Reg.  I have checked the specification of the overhead door shutter and it does comply with the ADM standard but this is for a door width of 950mm minimum.  The door fitted width is 775mm.  I have checked crudely with a scale meter of the force required to open the door and it is 7lbs throughout the 90 degree of the door opening.  Which I believe is slightly higher that the regulations, may seem trivial but for a 94 year old it is a problem.

I have reported the problem to the Housing Association but there appears to be little interest in the complaint.  So if there is a breach of the regulations to whom do I report it to?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2013, 7:01pm

Local council's building control..... is the first port of call..

and is the Housing Assoc: part or was part of the local council

IP Logged

jazzyman

Ask The Trades

Reply #6 - Dec 20th, 2013, 11:02am

I contacted the Building and Planning Dept of the local council and they are not interested. I was informed:
"The replacement of an existing door would not be considered “building work” under the above legislation unless a “material alteration” would occur."

I guess now that the next port of call would be the fire service?

I have also now had confirmation that the door shutter fitted does not comply with the BS8300 Regulation due to the narrow door width.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2014, 11:02am

Was the door replaced or repaired?...

http://www.fensa.co.uk/local-authorities.aspx

Quote:
Where windows and doors are to be replaced (but, not where they are to be repaired only, as repair work does not fall within the definition of building work) the replacement work should comply with the requirements of part L and N of schedule 1 of the Building Regulations. In addition once the work has been completed, the building should not have a lesser level of compliance with all other applicable parts of schedule 1.

This means all replacement windows and doors must comply with Approved Documents N (Safety Glazing) and L (Thermal Insulation). Other elements of the Building Regulations A (Structure), F (Ventilation), B (Means of escape), J (Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems), M (Access) must not be made worse by the replacement installation.

Try reminding Building Control that a replacement door/window must not make Part M compliance worse.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print