Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:23am
Quote: 640K ought to be enough for anybody. - Bill Gates, 1981.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mould and Sealer (Read 3797 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Mould and Sealer
Jan 12th, 2014, 2:14pm

Hi all,

Happy new year.

I'm trying to find a solution to a small mould problem in my bathroom and hoping someone might have some advice.

I live in a rented apartment and pretty much the whole apartment was renovated prior to my taking receipt of the keys 2.5yrs ago, including the bathroom area. The join between bath and tiles is filled with a sealer that I believe is silicone sealer and over time, small spots/spores of mould have appeared in/on the sealer, not on the tiles or bath, right on the sealer itself. Myself and SHMBO have tried assorts of cleaners (bleach, ajax (or Cif, whatever you want to call it) etc) and nothing shifts it.

It's not massive areas, just spots a bit smaller than a 5p piece, but it passed me off and doesn't look particularly nice. Are there any tips/tricks for cleaning these mould spores out without resorting to cutting out the sealer and resealing it?

Thanks in advance.

Alex.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Mould and Sealer
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2014, 4:22pm

Hi Sandy, the reason that mould will grow on the sealant (and no where else)  is because who ever installed it wet their finger by sticking it in their mouth, and not using a small amount of water with a drop or two of washing up liquid in (to break the surface tension) ... there fore the enzime's from the installers mouth have contaminated the sealant, and are locking into the sealant....

sorry to say the only way to stop it happening is to carefully cut out the sealant and start again... and whet the finger with water!!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

nvr24
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2014, 11:33pm

Cut it out and redo it again. This time try and use Down Corning stuff, as it's mould proof.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2014, 5:46pm

Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, thought that might be the only option. That makes it pretty difficult and a complete ball-ache.

The bathroom fitter has managed to do a pretty good job at running the sealant. He's managed to do up the side of the bath, along the back, down the far side, along behind the taps, up the side of the adjoining units, along a 6' vanity unit and down the far end in what seems like one go. Indiscretions with licking his finger to "finish" the job to one side, it's not a bad job. Shame s/he messed up.

If it was my own place and back home in the UK, I'd try it myself knowing what to buy and where to get it from.

Methinks I'll push it on to the landlord.

Thanks again for the replies.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print