Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:12am
Quote: If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Domestic vs Commercial Marketing (Read 4663 times)
Abington Decorators
GDPR opt-out

Domestic vs Commercial Marketing
Jul 10th, 2014, 2:15pm

Hi guys,

I recently had my website rebuilt to show a different mobile and PC versions of the site, my address is painterdecoratornorthampton.co.uk (I know I cant post a live link so hope that’s okay) in the hopes of attacking more commercial work.

I'm looking for some opinions as im a bit concerned the site looks like a “domestic” service which can put off commercial business? I get around 5-7 domestic leads through the website each week without other advertising which (don't get me wrong) is great but really looking to get them commercial leads which im simply not picking up for some reason!  

I also want to showcase past project I have completed for future clients, putting up a gallery seems like that obvious route but does anyone else have any suggestions on the best way to present commercial work in a professional way?

im also wondering if having a review page with no reviews is off putting? I have past testimonies but the new site is a "star review" system and I feel that I would be blagging it to give myself 5 stars just because the past testimony was positive.

Anyone with experience have any opinions?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Domestic vs Commercial Marketing
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2014, 4:41pm

I've had a look at your site, and I am no expert, but if you want to do commercial work you may well be better off with another commercial website that you can run in parallel with your domestic one. Failing that I would change your homepage to give two options, domestic and commercial, and then have further options from there.

At the moment the commercial link is well down the options list, too far really. Also some of your pages are a bit long. When I set up my website I was told to try to keep the pages short so that there was no need to scroll down.

I would get rid of the reviews page, it looks bad that you haven't got any.

Plus, if you have them, I would put up some pictures of your work; some before and afters would good for the domestic side.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Abington Decorators
Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2014, 11:37am

Thanks for the feedback, its sincerely appreciated! I’ll get the commercial link moved higher and the review section hidden until I have some new genuine reviews.

I also agree with you on the length of page text but my web guy insisted to get good rankings I needed to avoid thin content, I can’t argue because its worked and I literally don’t need to advertise for domestic work thanks to its search positions but I do absolutely agree with the idea of a second site dedicated to the commercial side of things.

Thanks once more mate Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2014, 5:18pm

I've not heard of thin content being a problem, I thought that it was more about adding the right key words in the text.?

One thing you need to do though is constantly change the site, Google looks for changes and if you don't make any you plunge down the rankings. This is a problem if you have someone running the site for you as it can be expensive.

IP Logged

Abington Decorators
Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2014, 9:33am

I couldn't tell you much about thin content being a problem, the stuff goes right over my head lol! I pay the place i got the site from £40 per month for the design, hosting and some google SCO?  

I do have a login where I can update the reviews, faq's, gallery and a I just noticed a section called "case study's".

I suppose i should really make use of this stuff in that case. If I add a case study once a month to the site to keep the content fresh, a couple of photos (before/after) and a bit of text? Would that be enough changes do you think?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2014, 6:00pm

If you have the dedication to keep on top of it then I think it would help a lot. I haven't touched my website for nearly two years and the amount of traffic has reduced considerably.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print