Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:59pm
Quote: The colder the x-ray table, the more of your body is required to be on it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New shed interface with existing outhouse? (Read 3280 times)
IWANTBLUE
GDPR opt-out

New shed interface with existing outhouse?
Aug 25th, 2014, 3:14pm

Hi, I'd like some pointers /ideas/help regarding options for 'butting up' a shed to my existing brick outhouse please.

I've drawn a very quick sketch of one of the issues I have in the hope that someone can point out some options that loses me least space.

I have a mall terraced house with an existing 10' x5'6" shed that the roof is completely rotten and a writeoff, the rest of it has seen better days and I want a solid waterproof secure as is possible without a shipping container replacement.

Idealliy I would build myself, but time constraints have so far prevented this in that I dont have the space to put the stuff I currently have stored , and store my tools, *currently elsewhere) etc whilst making it and working 12 hr shifts, so purchase is looming and as its going to be V.expensive I want to use the maximum space possible.

The existing shed sits against the wall shown, but 4M further back, so does not come against the outhouse, but a lower 5'6" wall which it overhangs.

so my issue now, wanting a 20' shed or maybe 2 off 10'x5'6" or maybe even a 7M x5'6" but the front 2m35 of it will have to go against the wall shown in the sketch...

so I have to 'butt' the roof up to the wall shown in one of the 4 coloured dotted lines...

• Red 2m30 eaves OVER existing roof, shallow apex @2m50
  • Orange 2m10 eaves UNDER existing roof, steeper apex @2m50
  • dark Green 2m30 Peak OVER existing roof steep Pent to 2m
  • light Green 2m10 Peak UNDER existing roof shallow Pent to 2m

I'm proposing Coraline surface finish to roof. and where neccessary extra gutter if required as shown.

I will then end up with a 6" gap from shed wall to outhouse wall due to the overhang of either roof.

So... which is best? which is crazy? which is possible, which is not? etc...

I'm frustrated at the thought of losing this 6" as at the afar end of the garden(after the 2m35 length of the outhouse, any shed overhang could be 'over the middle of the  outer boundary wall, gaining back the 6"  overhang....

OK ..hit me, I'm in the bunker ready to be blasted .....

Seriously any help gratefully received, much as I'd love to self build I think I need to bite the bullit and purchase so need to finalise sizes  to get it ordered.

cheers, Nick

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 1

Re: New shed interface with existing outhouse?
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2014, 7:54pm

I would avoid the first (red) option. Not a good idea to have water coming off the shed roof (and potentially) running up the existing roof under the tiles in a heavy downpour.

Not sure I fully understand the dark green option but looks like a leaf trap - would be hard to access/clean the existing gutter.

The light green one looks ok. Use a suitable flashing where the new roof meets the existing fascia board under the gutter...

http://static1.shop033.com/resources/9F/6047/picture/F0/14950128.jpg

http://www.slecladding.co.uk/onduli15.JPG

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

IWANTBLUE
Re: New shed interface with existing outhouse?
Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2014, 10:38pm

CWatters wrote on Aug 25th, 2014, 7:54pm:
I would avoid the first (red) option. Not a good idea to have water coming off the shed roof (and potentially) running up the existing roof under the tiles in a heavy downpour.

Not sure I fully understand the dark green option but looks like a leaf trap - would be hard to access/clean the existing gutter.

The light green one looks ok. Use a suitable flashing where the new roof meets the existing fascia board under the gutter...

http://static1.shop033.com/resources/9F/6047/picture/F0/14950128.jpg

http://www.slecladding.co.uk/onduli15.JPG

Thanks for the suggestions, Dark green is Pent with high point over roof rather like Red (apex)
orange would with hind sight have to be even further away from the wall to allow for the water to run off, into the second, lower, or lowered  gutter  so if Red and Dark Green are not good ideas, then it appears Light green is favourite from  a 'fit' point of view, but is my least favourite from an aesthetic and practical point of view as it restricts the height of the shed and limits me to Pent when  APEX...

tHANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION OF CORALINE /FLASHING HOWEVER
d do this if its the way I go...

I can see your point ref the red version, but would there bee that much of a heavy fall from a 200mm fall over 2'3"(sorry mixing measurements again, 200mm fall in 812mm, so 1:4?? probably a lot less actually as I've given the lower roof line measurement @ 2m30 and the top apex measurement of 2m50 so roof width of approx 100mm in that would leave it at half that angle 1:2.?
Is that still a definite No-No?

The outhouse appears to be well felted from the inside??
its just that I think, whilst being far from perfect, an apex above the existing roofline is the least restrictive allowing me to both raise the shed on a brick and extend the height by a board or two for additional overhead storage...
would it be such a problem if I checked the felting with a shallow fall over that small length?

None of the options are ideal by any means, that just seemed the best of a bad lot...

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print