Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 2:18pm
Quote: Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Velux installation (Read 6141 times)
sausalito
GDPR opt-out

Velux installation
Nov 13th, 2014, 1:52pm

Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum, so please be gentle!

I have had a quote for the installation of a Velux, and I am unsure whether its a fair price or not.  I think it is, but after asking for 3 quotes and only getting one back, from local builders, I wouldn't mind a second opinion!  I have no idea about these things!! I wonder if your wisdom might be of assistance?

Its a GGU UK04 0060 centre pivot in white, 1340mm x 980mm - with all the necessary extras - £950.  I assume this will include a days labour, for two workers, as well as the materials?

The guy is registered as a Velux installer who I found on their website, so I am feeling confident he will do the job right.  He seems a nice chap, too.  I know the window isn't the cheapest thing to buy as a member of the public, and I cant imagine trade discount would take so much off that he is screwing me on labour.  So I am on the cusp of accepting....

I guess I just want some reassurance to put my mind at ease.  I have had been burned before!

Thanks so so much to anyone who takes the time to answer  Kiss

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 1

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Velux installation
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2014, 11:01pm

Hi and welcome to the forum....

not actually knowing what your roof is constructed from, but knowing the cost of the particular window, the price given is not to bad...

if he has to buy a few tiles etc, then this can put a bit on the cost, as roof tiles are in certain areas and of certain types in short supply at the moment, and prices have gone up accordingly...

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

sausalito
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2014, 9:15am

Hi Timba-Wolf (great name!), thanks for your reply.  Smiley

My roof is 3*2 joists, covered in felt.  It looks like two layers of different material. It's a mid terrace.  I am not sure about the tiles, the house was built in 1939, and the tiles look like the sit into each other with a raised square bit in the middle (sorry that's so not very technical sounding, is it?!!).  I assume when he cuts the hole, he will take quite a few out, and so there should be spares for any.. gap filling?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2014, 1:21pm

I think it's a good price, they will have to cut and trim a rafter to get this window in, fit flashings and tiles then reinstate internally; its 2 days for 2 men.

IP Logged

sausalito
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2014, 1:45pm

Hi Woodsmith

Yes, you're right, they will have to cut through possibly 3-4 rafters and secure all that afterwards.  Its a large window!!

The rafters are open at the moment, in that there is no boarding on. My plasterer will do all that, once the roof window has gone in.  You say two days, that's quite interesting then.  If its two days work, it definitely seems a good price!

I had read one some sites, people quoting £300-400 price including materials and that seemed ridiculous to me, but had also left me feeling unsure, so I am really grateful to yourself and Timba for giving me your opinion.  Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2014, 8:21am

Is he doing it from the inside? I've done it that way and it can be a lot easier than scrabbling about on the roof!

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

sausalito
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2014, 5:45pm

Hi Londonman

I imagine it will be a bit of both? I would have thought he would go onto the roof to safely remove some excess tiles? Then do the cutting etc from inside?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2014, 9:11am

Quote:
Hi Londonman

I imagine it will be a bit of both? I would have thought he would go onto the roof to safely remove some excess tiles? Then do the cutting etc from inside?  

You can normally do it all from inside the roof space. You just cut the felt away and then lever out one tile from below. Once you have one out the rest are easy.

IP Logged

sausalito
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2014, 11:37am

Hi Guys

I have emailed the builder on friday morning to accept the quote, but not heard anything back.  Not sure if that means the search has to start again, or that he is too busy to acknowledge!  

Really appreciate all your assistance on this!!  Thank you all so much, again.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print