Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:42pm
Quote: A rock --> me <-- A hard place

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Airlock in hot water system (Read 3595 times)
MaryAnnRose
GDPR opt-out

Airlock in hot water system
Jan 3rd, 2015, 12:04am

Hi!
Can anyone help please?
I have an airlock in the hot water system. How do I shift it?
Cannot reverse pipes on washing machine as there is only one, and I've been trying to block off the mixer taps all afternoon, no use.
If I drained the whole system (hot and cold) and refilled, wouldn't this sort the problem?
It's urgent - I'm running a holiday let here, and have guests who can't have a bath or shower at the moment!

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Airlock in hot water system
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2015, 8:43am

Are you sure it's an air lock and not a valve turned down? If it's an air lock I doubt draining the system down will do any good and may make the situation even worse. What you probably have is air trapped in a high spot in the hot water pipe system. The solution is normally to force mains pressure water up the hot water pipes from the tap which no longer has water running out, not always so easy with modern tap design.  Ideally you could do with a vent fitting in the high spot where the air is trapped but you may be able to put a strong plastic bag over a mixer tap, seal it as best you can ( it does need a good seal) and turn both taps on. It normally only takes a few seconds of water running back to clear the air. Good luck!

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Airlock in hot water system
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2015, 10:07am

Most modern mixer taps should have a non-return valve to prevent backflow, so your best chance is to attack it through to single taps, ( sink, basin etc. open the hot bath mixer and try to clear the air.

Washing machine is always a good place and where you have a cold fill machine is there a hot pipe valved off. if not it maybe an idea to get one fitted for future use
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2015, 10:08am by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print