Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:30pm
Quote: One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him - Jeffrey Bernard

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baxi Three way adapter (Read 3541 times)
dunkym
GDPR opt-out

Baxi Three way adapter
Jan 18th, 2015, 7:45pm

Hi I have a Baxi Combi Boiler. We have a continual low pressure issue and after a registered boiler engineer replacing the microswtch on the three way adapter and the red compression tank. we have the same fault.

The pin that comes out of the three way adapter is very slow to come up and trip the microswitch. Engineer is now saying that the three way needs replacing at a substantial cost ( £100s) or a new boiler. I see the part online from £65.00

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Baxi Three way adapter
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2015, 9:44pm

Hi,

For simplicity.

Loosing pressure indictaes a leak or fault in the expansion vessel.

1. what does/did the pressure rise to when the boiler was turned on from cold.

2. is the pressure pipe to outside dripping or has been dripping when the boiler is running.

3. have you check for small weeps especially the radiator valves and any compression fittings.

4. why is the RGI playing with the divertor valve or is it leaking.

5. how old is the boiler and is the system clean.

6. what you can buy parts online for has no relation to what an RGI is going to charge you to fit it. The going rate depending where you are for an RGI is £60-120 per hour

Answers please and see where they take us.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2015, 9:45pm by thescruff »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

dunkym
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2015, 10:06pm

1. what does/did the pressure rise to when the boiler was turned on from cold.  - 3 Bar

2. is the pressure pipe to outside dripping or has been dripping when the boiler is running.  NO

3. have you check for small weeps especially the radiator valves and any compression fittings.  YES

4. why is the RGI playing with the divertor valve or is it leaking. Originally had a leak in the diaphram.  This fauly he said it was the microswitch at the back og the valve assembly

5. how old is the boiler and is the system clean.

6. what you can buy parts online for has no relation to what an RGI is going to charge you to fit it. The going rate depending where you are for an RGI is £60-120 per hour    Location SW England £500 is a steep labour charge, i think

Answers please and see where they take us.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2015, 11:52pm

3bar indicates a fault with the expansion vessel, could be undersized, lost its pre-charge or duff.

At 3 bar I would expect the outside pipe to drip perhaps tie a plastic bag over the pipe and check the next day.

You can get a repair kit for the divertor valve but perhaps better to change the whole valve.

I f you're suggesting the rgi wanted £500 labour I would tell him to take a hike, thats crazy even for London, a fixed price repair would be less than that. Try Baxi or BG, but avoid pimlico they'd probably add another 0 to that.

IP Logged

dunkym
Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2015, 6:43am

Thank you . i will keep you informed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2015, 2:43pm

If the expansion vessel is faulty it's not always necessary to replace the one in the boiler. You might be able to add another one elsewhere. I think I learned that here!

If the PRV has been opening then consider replacing that as well because they sometimes leak once they have been opened by excess pressure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print