Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 9:22pm
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
persistent blocked sewer (Read 3128 times)
Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

persistent blocked sewer
Mar 21st, 2015, 12:41pm

We've always had problems with drains blocking up ever since I've been here.  I thought I had found and cured the problem (a collapsed pipe under where I used to park my lorry) but a couple of days ago there was that familiar pooey smell outside.  This time, the block was actually visible in one of the manholes.

There is a half pipe running front to back which carries the foul from the main soil stack. There is then an angled half pipe entering from the side which is a bit higher up.  This is fed from the gulley that takes the washing machine waste.

What seems to be happening is that the main front to rear half pipe is covered in a thick build up of what my neighbour described as 'shale' (sh*tty limescale) and if a particularly large lump of solid waste comes along, it gets wedged between the bottom of the half pipe it is in, and the side entry from the gulley.  This then backs up everything behind it.

I've tried scraping this stuff out with a spade, but it is very solidly in there.  Is there any industrial type descaler stuff I can put in there to clean it out, or am I gonna have to fork out for someone to come and jet them out?

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: persistent blocked sewer
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2015, 12:13pm

A strong solution of caustic soda might do the trick. What's it like at the next manhole down? Maybe you could bung it up somehow to help contain the caustic soda solution, otherwise it will just run away and not do very much. Unfortunately if there are many users upstream from you then blocking the main sewer is probably not option..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2015, 2:05pm

I've had this stuff build up in the trap in the loo and left it soaking in neat caustic and it did nothing. In the end I chiselled it out and it came away like stone. Unless it is easily accessible I'd get a drain cleaning firm in, they are used to dealing with this and have the gear to clean it out thoroughly.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2015, 6:26pm

If, it's the inspection chamber thats causing the problem then grind any ragged edges off.

Must likely probems is.

1. sanitary towels.

2. nappys.

3. fall too great and the water is leaving the solids behind.

4. A collaspsed or blocked pipe down stream.

Turds will not cause a blockage as soon as you get a build up it will either push or flood over, even more so in an open channel
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2015, 6:26pm by thescruff »  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2015, 8:54pm

as an aside

if a drain is shared by 2 or more properties they are now the  responsibility off your local water company

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2015, 10:01pm

this section is shared by 4 properties.  local water company aren't interested in preventitive maintenance.  they will just come and clear it when it blocks.  seeing as it is on my drive, and i can clear it quicker than it would take me to ring up and report it...  you get the idea Wink

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print