Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:37pm
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gap in ceiling (Read 2745 times)
Micky lad
GDPR opt-out

Gap in ceiling
Apr 6th, 2015, 3:47pm

Hello,
I am decorating an extension in a 1960s semi detached house. The extension is like a conservatory but with 1 brick side and a fully tiled sloping roof.
On the ceiling, where the ceiling meets the original inner wall is a piece of 90mm wide PVC trunking with a removable top panel.
As far as I can tell there is no reason for it - no wires or pipes inside. There is just an empty cavity behind it, that goes into the roof space of the extension.
Is this panel needed for access, ventilation  or inspection purposes, or could I remove the trunking and fill the gap with plaster coving?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Gap in ceiling
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2015, 8:49am

If you pull the cover off and there is nothing inside then I can't see why you can't put coving over the gap. It's an odd thing to have done though and would normally have wiring or pipes in it.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Micky lad
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2015, 6:13pm

I'm now looking into ways of making or buying a removable section of coving - just in case.
Anybody know of anything on the market?

I think maybe the gap has been left to allow access to the ceiling space for feeding wires etc in the case of re-wiring or repairs???

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2015, 10:33pm

It's not normal practice to put a channel in the wall, perhaps they meant to use it for something but never got round to it? There are lightweight sections of coving which you could glue in place with a mastic gun, that way you could relatively easily remove them if you wanted in the future.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2015, 9:50am

If it was 1960s perhaps they originally had some sort of bead curtain across the door opening mounted on a board at ceiling height?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print