Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:23pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One heating circuit - two thermostats(?) (Read 9991 times)
aeg
GDPR opt-out

One heating circuit - two thermostats(?)
May 30th, 2015, 5:52pm

I'm considering the possibility of installing two room thermostats to control the same heating circuit and switching between them with a two way switch...

Problem: the programmable room thermostat I already have controls the heating with the same set of on/off times every day of the week whereas, occasionally, when I may be out for much of the day, I would prefer to have a different set of times.

Idea: if I installed another programmable thermostat and was able to switch between the two, I could select whichever set of times was most appropriate.

Proposed plan...
Connect live from programmer to common terminal of two way switch.
Connect from S1 of 2-way switch to thermostat 1
Connect from S2 of 2-way switch to thermostat 2
Connect from outputs of both thermostats to zone valve via wiring centre.

Although I can see no reason why it shouldn't work, I would appreciate the opinions of experts.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: One heating circuit - two thermostats(?)
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2015, 11:05pm

If you used a two channel programmer you could use T4 HTG on, and T3 DHW on. you'll need a relay where t3 and t4 become common

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

aeg
Reply #2 - May 31st, 2015, 7:04am

thescruff wrote on May 30th, 2015, 11:05pm:
If you used a two channel programmer you could use T4 HTG on, and T3 DHW on. you'll need a relay where t3 and t4 become common

Thanks for this suggestion.
I already have a two channel programmer that is set up as normally intended for heating and hot water circuits, and it is to T4 HTG that I was intending to connect the common terminal of the two way switch.

Perhaps I don't fully understand what you are suggesting, but I don't see how your method would control different temperature settings at different times of the day.

Further clarification of what I am seeking...
Example:
Normal daily setting (someone at home all day): Thermostat 1 in control...
    Raises temp. setting to 20oC at 06:00 and drops back to 12oC at 22:00

Occasional daily setting (house empty for parts of the day): Thermostat 2 in control...
    Raises temp. setting to 20oC at 06:00 and drops back to 15oC at 08:00, then
    Raises temp. setting to 20oC at 12:00 and drops back to 15oC at 13:00, then
    Raises temp. setting to 20oC at 17:00 and drops back to 12oC at 22:00.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2015, 8:16am

I can't see why what you are proposing won't work technically, the only problem will be remembering to switch it over when you go out. Have you looked at smart thermoststs, like the Nest, not cheap but it may solve your problem in a more elegant fashion?

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

For This Post: 0

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2015, 9:14am

Ok first I assumed you had a combi.

What motorized valves do you have.

if you had 2 channels for the heating you could program them different and use the program that best suits you daily need.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOH37.html

Saying that a programmable stat should operate independently of any programmers.

Perhaps some information on makes/model of what youhave at present.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #5 - May 31st, 2015, 10:36am

Thinking about it, if you have 2 programmable room stats you could use a simple changeover switch for the call wires.

http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/electronic-components/1226-280-11-spdt-miniatur...

IP Logged

aeg
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2015, 3:35pm

Thanks to woodsmith for your contribution; the Nest thermostat appears to be something that would appeal to me but not necessarily other members of the household!

Thanks also to thescruff for your contribution; I couldn't open the link you provided in your latest post but what you've suggested appears to be very similar to the idea I've proposed, except that my two way switch solution (also spdt) has no off position.

The programmer I have at the moment is very similar to the Drayton LP241 but with British Gas branding on it.
I have two 2-port valves, one for hot water and one for heating.

The idea I've proposed came to mind when I was about to replace a Landis & Gyr Chronogyr Rev10 thermostat with an unbranded touchscreen thermostat (eBay).  The Landis & Gyr still works OK but has a LCD display that is difficult to read and adjust in low light conditions, whereas the touchscreen stat has a backlight and a more easily readable display. It then occurred to me that keeping both thermostats would provide the advantages I've mentioned previously.

From the advice I've received so far, it appears that my plan should work, so I will probably go ahead with this and fit the two thermostats on either side of a two way switch.  I shall rotate the switch 90o from normal orientation so that the rocker position will indicate which thermostat is active.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2015, 7:08pm

would still like to know what room stats you have/intend to use.

What you have to remember is you'll be powering the brown (MV) from 2 different sources, and can be highly dangerous to anyone working on the heating in the future unless you can include a common isolator.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2015, 7:10pm by thescruff »  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2015, 6:18am

Live from programmer into both stats. Output from one stat to L1 of switch, output from the other to L2. COM to the brown of zone valve.

It will do what you want, but not very conventional.

There will only ever be one stat feeding the zone valve.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

aeg
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2015, 9:27am

thescruff wrote on May 31st, 2015, 7:08pm:
would still like to know what room stats you have/intend to use.

What you have to remember is you'll be powering the brown (MV) from 2 different sources, and can be highly dangerous to anyone working on the heating in the future unless you can include a common isolator.

One of the room stats will be either...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Under-floor-Heating-Programmable-Thermostat-Ro...
or...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Underfloor-Heating-Programmable-Thermostat-Roo...

The other stat may be the same as above but, initially, I'll probably use the existing Landis & Gyr Chronogyr REV10 (an old (mid 90s) digital thermostat that still works) to test the idea and its usefulness. http://www.forum-chauffage.com/images/thermostat-landis-gyr.jpg
Interestingly, the Landis & Gyr stat partially does what I'm trying to achieve as you'll see from the image but I haven't been able to find a modern stat that does the same thing, which is the reason for my proposed solution.

The thermostats will be located near each other with common connections made locally so the MV will only see one source.  I'm aware that this arrangement will be unusual so I shall be very careful to avoid leaving nasty surprises for others who may work on the system!

Lectrician wrote on Jun 1st, 2015, 6:18am:
Live from programmer into both stats. Output from one stat to L1 of switch, output from the other to L2. COM to the brown of zone valve.

This appears similar to my proposal but with the two way switch after the stats instead of before them. I'd be interested to know why you think that would be a better arrangement. It's good to know that you think it will work OK so I just need to try it.

Although this arrangement is not very conventional, it is innovational and could become conventional if enough others needed to achieve the same result. A better solution would be for thermostat manufacturers to include the features I'm seeking in their products, similar to those incorporated by Landis & Gyr in the mid 90s (see above). There may be some on the market of course, but I don't know of an easy way to find them.

Thanks for your help.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2015, 12:32pm

Quote:
Lectrician wrote on Jun 1st, 2015, 6:18am:

This appears similar to my proposal but with the two way switch after the stats instead of before them. I'd be interested to know why you think that would be a better arrangement. It's good to know that you think it will work OK so I just need to try it.

Thanks for your help.

You are choosing programmable stats, and placing the two way switch before them would kill power to them, meaning you could not make adjustments to them.

Not all work this way, most have a live and neutral supply to operate, and then volt free contacts to switch the heating load.  Some do not though (the eBay one) so I suggested after the stat.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2015, 6:27pm

The two way switch would have to be after the stat as you are using the switching terminals to power the MV.

What you will also need is a permanent L&N to each stat, ideally from the same fused isolator.

IP Logged

aeg
Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2015, 8:37am

[quote author=Lectrician link=1433004768/10#10 date=1433158348]Quote:
You are choosing programmable stats, and placing the two way switch before them would kill power to them, meaning you could not make adjustments to them.

Not all work this way, most have a live and neutral supply to operate, and then volt free contacts to switch the heating load.  Some do not though (the eBay one) so I suggested after the stat.

The Landis & Gyr stat is battery powered so the programming of that one will not be affected by the proposed switch, but I take your point about mains powered stats that don't have permanent mains power so I shall fit the switch after the stats as you suggest.  Thank you for pointing that out.

thescruff wrote on Jun 1st, 2015, 6:27pm:
What you will also need is a permanent L&N to each stat, ideally from the same fused isolator.

I considered having a permanent L&N supply but don't think I can. There are only 4 connections on the eBay stat:  N and N1 that are linked, L and L1, where L1 is the switched live. The supply to L must surely come from the programmer, otherwise the stat may try to operate the MV regardless of whether the programmer was in heating mode.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2015, 9:52am

With programmable stats, it's usual to either bypass the time control, or turn it on 24/7, letting your stats take control.

You should supply all equipment from the same supply/fcu.

The eBay stats would need three cores plus earth.

IP Logged

aeg
Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2015, 8:34am

Lectrician wrote on Jun 2nd, 2015, 9:52am:
With programmable stats, it's usual to either bypass the time control, or turn it on 24/7, letting your stats take control.

You should supply all equipment from the same supply/fcu.

The eBay stats would need three cores plus earth.

Yes, I do sometimes have the programmer on 24/7 with the stat handling all of the timing (such as when we are away during the winter) but most of the time I use a combination of the two for additional flexibility.

Well, it's all connected and working as intended!  I already had a three core+earth supply from the same fuse point as the boiler and controls so it was really just a case of fitting the components and making the connections.
The eBay stat can only be programmed whilst the programmer heating channel is on, of course, but having the switch after the stats was good advice because it does mean that I can still adjust the programming, regardless of which stat is in control. Thanks again for your help.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print