Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:31pm
Quote: I hate being bi-polar...its Brilliant!!!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New EEC ruling for ventilation boiler? (Read 1667 times)
Donming
GDPR opt-out

New EEC ruling for ventilation boiler?
Sep 21st, 2015, 9:08am

My elderly parents have just paid out nearly £200 after being told during their usual yearly British GasHomecare boiler service that due to new EEC ruling the ventilation of their gas central heating boiler is no longer sufficient. They had a huge vent put on the outside of their small 1930s end terrace which seems a bit excessive. A quick search online shows up nothing about this new ruling. Has anyone heard of this? I think they have been conned. I spoke to British Gas customer service and all they could tell me is that the quote my parents were given had "vent" written on it and they themselves are not aware of any new ruling. Any advice from experts gratefully received.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: New EEC ruling for ventilation boiler?
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2015, 9:32am

It's BG policy to prey on the elderly and rip them off as much as possible.

However, depending on the boiler, the requirements for ventilation changed possibly as long ago as 2005 and became a requirement soon after, so they could be right, although why they haven't picked it up before is worrying.

What is really amazing is the BG sales sharks haven't been round trying to rip them off with a free boiler which they would be entitled too under the green scams.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print