Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:06am
Quote: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much - Oscar Wilde

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trip question / extractor problems (Read 2387 times)
Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Trip question / extractor problems
Jan 24th, 2016, 9:56pm

A mate of mine has bought a new build house, as he wanted something that wouldn't need stuff doing for a fair while.

So the latest problem he's had is that one night the trip for the upstairs lighting cut out.  He was away at work, so asked me to have a look.  After turning off all the lights and it still tripping as soon as you switched it back on I worked out that it was the bathroom extractor that was the problem.

is it normal for there to be a bright flash from inside the trip when it cuts out?  

The extractor is a ceiling mounted one.  Popping the cover off for a quick looky, the problem was immediately obvious.  There was a fair bit of moisture inside, and there was signs of arcing around the connector block.  Investigating a bit more, a good few gallons of water landed on me when I disturbed the pipe.  My first thought was that this must be rain that is somehow found its way in, and has collected at a low point in the flexi pipe, and the weight has made it sag and let it collect more water until it has started dribbling back into the extractor.

The sparky who has come out to it has just replaced the extractor under guarantee, and made the pipe "more secure" and has blamed it on condensation building up at a low point.  Does this sound feasible?  The house has only been lived in for 11 months

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Trip question / extractor problems
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2016, 11:38pm

Yes. Most likely warm humid air from the shower/bath is condensing in the cold flexible pipe. Might help to insulate the pipe and support it at an angle so anything that does condense drains to the outside.

Funny you should mention this as I've just come back from a trip to a relatives house to sort out a similar problem.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

baz
Trade Member

If it ain't broke, keep
fixing it until it is!

Total Thanks: 0

Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Henley-on-Thames
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Trip question / extractor problems
Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2016, 10:46am

It would be a good idea to install a condensation trap in the duct.  Otherwise it will happen again.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGCT.html  for example

Why is it that, when we stumble across a can of worms, instead of running for the door we find ourselves reaching for a can opener?
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print