Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:24am
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insulation under an old loft conversion floor (Read 1980 times)
wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Insulation under an old loft conversion floor
Feb 25th, 2016, 3:39pm

I have been told I need to put 100mm of rockwool or fibreglass under the floor of my old (25 years ago) loft conversion - There is nothing under there at the moment.
Could I use two layers of Cavity Batts instead?
Easier to handle for me as I can put it in a bit at a time?

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Insulation under an old loft conversion floor
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2016, 5:21pm

I can't see why not, but the bats are quite stiff and may not fill all the gaps around them in the same way so may not be quite as effective.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2016, 11:47am

Who told you need to do this and why?

Insulation under the floor of a loft conversion is typically for noise reduction. The other reason might be to stop cold air circulating under the floor.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzer

The Jurassic Spark

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2016, 1:12pm

We are "re-jigging" the existing Loft conversion:
The bungalow is 1961 and has two whopping great purlins running the length of the roof space. Hence, I have an usable area of 9 x 4.2 Metres with no alterations to roofing required. At the purlins the height is 1.4 Metres and at the ridge 3.7 Metres the roof is a simple gable.
Originally 2/3 of the loft was converted - we are extending this to the whole loft. The old conversion floor joists are ok for size and new ones will be added to the remainder of the unconverted area. We will be building new internal non-load bearing walls and splitting the loft into a bedroom and en-suite. We will be having a "proper" staircase installed (presently a space-saver stair with offset treads is fitted).
The new walls will be insulated to present standards and the old room perimeter walls will be replaced too.
The ceiling will be insulated to current standards as a "cold" roof - we do not intend to re-roof. The roof currently has two Velux windows in it and we will be adding a third. The chap doing the drawings for me has advised that there should be sound proofing under the floor.
I am doing as much as possible myself to keep costs down, hence the query about the cavity Batts.

Thank User For This Post 22,CARRIAGE+DRIVE,+BIDDULPH View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print