Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:28am
Quote: The best way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Soil pipe leak/repair (Read 8070 times)
TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Soil pipe leak/repair
Apr 10th, 2016, 3:26pm

This is a slightly two part question, first I have a leak from the base of the boss, were it joins the soil pipe, it is weeping just at the bottom. As you can see by pic, this would be difficult to replace due to position of the brick work, without chopping the whole area out, any ides of how I could repair this, would solvent weld stuff do any good?

The other bit is really for builders , but here goes, how do I replace the brickwork? I was thinking that as its in the cavity wall I could cover the pipes with something then use expanded foam, cut level and maybe plaster over, any ideas?
Trevor

Soil pipe

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Soil pipe leak/repair
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2016, 5:18pm

I can't help you with the plumbing sorry, but to reinstate afterward I would avoid foam like the plague as it will get everywhere and should you need to get access again it will be an absolute nightmare. I would look to cover it with plasterboard, you may need to make a small wooden frame to support it or maybe just screw a batten to the wall, it's difficult to tell from the picture. Another option to fix the plasterboard is to use bonding, it comes in small bags from BnQ for a few pounds and mixes to a sort of stiffish plaster of Paris. Dab patches on the wall, push the plasterboard onto it, you may need to support the plasterboard until it sets, and it is fixed for life. You can use the same bonding to fill any largeish gaps but get mutifinish plaster to give it a skim afterward.
I hope that helps.

IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2016, 7:29pm

Thanks for that, good tip. I will stuff the area with rockwool or similar, and cut out wall to let in and then use your advice with the plasterboard.

Cheers

IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2016, 12:02am

I can see it's very tricky to  pull the joint from the boss and replace it. If it's a rubber boss, solvent weld wont work as it's designed for a particular plastic. And even if it's not, it would be difficult to force solvent weld into it. Maybe your best bet is to let the joint completely dry out, give it a good clean and then use a good quality flexible silicon sealant around it. Let it cure for at least 24 hours and then test it for leaks. As already mentioned, don't seal the area with foam, you may need to gain access to it in the future..

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2016, 7:46am

The boss is the abs type, and seems to be weeping from the joint to soil pipe and the boss itself.  This pipe is behind kitchen units, and has soaked the wall to side and showing in the next room, so I really need to get this a good repair, would silicone be good enough for us to not worry about re-starting?

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2016, 9:14am

No it wont stick if damp same applies with gap cement.

Looks as though the fitting/pipe is running the wrong way, and the way the bracket has snapped suggests theres weight on the pipe pushing it down.

IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2016, 2:01pm

The weight on the pipe was caused by some idiot way back, almost filling the hole with cement, this great heavy lump was laying on top of the pipe, but the leak is at the bottom not top.

We have left the soil pipe for the last 16hrs and its still leaking, how long would it need?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2016, 5:01pm

I know you are not keen and I don't know how difficult it would be, but for a 100% guaranteed job I'd remove all the masonry round the pipe so you have good access, after making sure that it isn't holding the house up of course! Then I'd get a plumber in to fix the pipe, I wouldn't think it would be too expensive and then save myself the biggest bill by reinstating the wall myself. The last thing you need is for this to leak again in the future.

IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #8 - Apr 11th, 2016, 6:29pm

Yes you are right, and that is exactly what I am doing, plumber coming, and if necessary will open up the wall. As you say cannot afford this to go wrong again.

Thanks all

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Reply #9 - Apr 11th, 2016, 9:25pm

Could be looking at a £100 plus WS

IP Logged

TrevorP

Ask The Trades

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2016, 10:07am

Yes, right again, plumber been, had a heck of a job as the hole in the soil pipe had been drilled oversize.
But with a mix of fitting he has glued, and clamped a new boss in place, and now two days later still no leaks, so looking good so far.
Total cost £125, not bad for nearly full days work, parts, and a run out to supplier, looks like I found a good guy.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2016, 3:58pm

That's a result and a good price too. Now all you have to do is put it all back to rights!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print