Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:39am
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Convert hardwired light to plug in (Read 2540 times)
paulo79
GDPR opt-out

Convert hardwired light to plug in
Apr 26th, 2016, 8:36pm

Hi,

I have an ikea LED light fitting that is designed to be hardwired but I want to convert it and add a plug so I can plug it in to a normal wall socket.

I'm happy enough with wiring the cable to the light and plan to fit a low rated fuse in the plug but is there any reason that this would be a bad idea?  A difference between the lighting and socket circuits etc?

thanks!

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Convert hardwired light to plug in
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2016, 10:12am

I assume this is a reasonably standard LED lamp not a massive outdoor flood light  or something like that.

The fuse in a plug is intended to protect the wire. eg if the wire was to become short circuited in the lamp then the fuse should blow before the wire melts and sets fire to the house. So to determine the fuse rating you need to know the diameter of the copper in the wire. Most likely a 1A fuse will be fine but perhaps compare the copper cores with those in a 1mm^2 cable? If it's clearly much smaller report back.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Convert hardwired light to plug in
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2016, 3:08am

Electrically it will be fine. Fit a 3A fuse in the plug (you could go lower but fuses under 3A are tricky to find and theres really no need). If the light has an earth terminal make sure you earth it.

Make sure you install it in such a matter that the wiring is adequately restrained. Flex by virtue of being more flexible needs more restraint than fixed wiring cables do..

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print