Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:01pm
Quote: Nothing is illegal if one hundred well-placed business men decide to do it -Andrew Young

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement Beams - Building Warrants (Read 2442 times)
StephenB
GDPR opt-out

Replacement Beams - Building Warrants
Jun 28th, 2016, 1:51pm

A builder is in the process of replacing two cracked concrete beams which are holding up the suspended wooden floor of my hallway.  He is replacing them with Rolled Steel Joists.  He informed me a Building Warrant from Building Control was not required as they are "replacement beams", however others have informed me a building warrant is required because the new beams are of a different material to the originals.  Does anyone know who is right? Thanks

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Replacement Beams - Building Warrants
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2016, 8:54pm

I'm reasonably sure that the work is notifiable. For example replacing a Lintel over a window is notifiable. I think the fee is likely to be around £200 but varies according to location and scope of the work.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2016, 8:39am

In England you would need calculations from a structural engineer and then approval from the building control officer even if you were replacing like for like because there is no guarantee the originals complied, especially if they have started to crack! You may also need calculations for padstones on which the lintel rests. Best to call the BCO and get them to call round, they will tell you what they need and are usually very helpful

It is possible to save some money by getting your calculations done on line, Google lintel calculations, if you are able to input the data needed they will send you an email with all the calc's for about £30. I used them and the BCO accepts them without any problems.

It's all a bit of a hassle as a good builder will know what sort of lintel to fit but you will need the approval especially if you ever want to sell the house.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

StephenB
Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2016, 8:44am

Thanks for the answers folks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print