Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:40pm
Quote: Ok, so what's the speed of dark?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bathroom Door Lock Regulations Question? (Read 2258 times)
jazzyman

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Bathroom Door Lock Regulations Question?
Oct 28th, 2016, 4:28pm

Question regarding bathroom door locks. I live in a social housing complex and my wife is disabled. The housing association are changing all of the doors next week and for the bathroom they are fitting a slide bolt type lock on the interior. The current lock is a bathroom door handle lock which can be opened on the outside with a screwdriver, which is far better in the event of a fall.
Are there any regulations governing bathroom locks?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: Bathroom Door Lock Regulations Question?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2016, 6:26pm

My gut feel is that there probably might be a regulation (or one that could be tweaked as it were to apply).  But they're doing it because it is cheap.

Tell them - formally in writing - that you require the other more suitable lock  as there is a disabled person living there and you (presumably as their carer) require access in an emergency and copy the letter (making sure that the Housing Association knows you have copied it) to your local Social Services.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2016, 10:58pm

Google found..

http://www.handles4doors.co.uk/advice/bathroom-lock-requirements

External Operation of Bathroom Locks

Quote:
The most important regulation is that any bathroom lock, cloakroom lock or en-suite lock in any public building must be accessible from the outside; i.e., a bathroom lock must have the ability to be operated externally, in case of emergency. While this regulation doesn't necessarily extend to private residences, all our bathroom locks can be operated from the outside, for the sake of security and to protect you from any future amendments to the regulations.

The bathroom locks in public buildings must also be operable to those with limited mobility. While it's impractical to try to cater for every unique situation, it must at least be demonstrable that your bathroom locks have been designed to be comfortably operated by as many people as possible, regardless of personal circumstance. Again, this regulation doesn't apply to private homes but it's certainly worth considering anyway. We have a wide range of large, stylish, functional bathroom locks, any one of which would be finish your bathroom door off really well. However, if you're buying for a public building - and the Building Regulations define a public building as any building where people are employed; so your workplace is a public building - then you should first make sure that the lock is easily operable. A thumbturn lock, like the one you probably have in your bathroom at home, may not be adequate under the requirements.

Does social housing count as a public building or private residence?

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2016, 1:36pm

Social housing is not the same as a public building.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print