Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:21pm
Quote: A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing - Emo Philips

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steel installation (Read 3863 times)
Overrunning Project

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Steel installation
Feb 2nd, 2017, 12:41pm

Hi
We are at the end of a build project that is due to complete at the end of this month.  The project was quoted as being 6 months however on completion it will be a total of 10 months.

There have been numerous mistakes from the builder that have distracted me during the build and it is only recently, as the ceiling has gone up on the ground floor, that I have noticed that the steels on the ground floor are protruding from the ceiling.  On the plans they are clearly incorporated into the ceiling to give a flat level ceiling.  The visual effect is poor as the steels are producing a box effect on the ceiling in awkward places i.e. over the breakfast bar.

I am not sure that there is much that can be done to rectify this however I am open to suggestions.  

I also need to challenge this with my builder.  My feelings are this is a cheaper way to install the steels.  We have a JCT contract.  Does anyone know how I can challenge this ?

Thanks

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Steel installation
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2017, 8:41am

You need to tell your builder that this is not as per the original plan and he has made a change without your authorisation and then ask him how he is going to rectify the problem. It may be that he did this for speed as the job is overrunning so much, or maybe fitting the steels level with the joists turned out to be impractical, in which case he should have discussed the situation with you and got your consent. However you don't want to get him to walk off the job so I would tread carefully. I believe there is an arbitration scheme with the JCT contract which may be worth looking into.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017, 8:42am by woodsmith »  
IP Logged

Overrunning Project

Ask The Trades

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2017, 9:57am

Thank you.  It's very good advice.  It's one of a long list of items that I will need to address with him.  Following the results of this I will look into how the arbitration scheme works.
Thanks again.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2017, 2:25pm

Did he install deeper steels or the correct ones just lower?

Was Building Control involved?

IP Logged

Overrunning Project

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2017, 7:27pm

Sorry for the late reply.  He installed the correct steels there just not as we had specified them within the drawings.  Building control were involved but did not flag this.  Five months into the build we had to call the structural engineer back and it turns out he made 10 + changes from the Structural Engineers drawings (Incorrect pad stones, timber replaced for steels, Flitch beams missing and incorrect steels in other parts of the building).  We only noticed the beams late in the build as we were distracted with above problems.  Builder is saying that we should have pointed it out earlier however I am saying that he should not have deviated from the plans without consultation the structural engineer or us.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2017, 3:36pm

Quote:
Builder is saying that we should have pointed it out earlier

You are quite correct. If it was on the original drawings then exactly how much earlier does he mean. Clearly his fault for not working to the drawings.

Presumably he holds himself out to be an experience builder capable of interpreting engineering drawings and not requiring supervision by a lay person Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print