Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:12pm
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Water pump problem (Read 2869 times)
londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13
For This Post: 0

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Water pump problem
Feb 19th, 2017, 3:00pm

We get our water from a borehole and it's then treated down in the cellar.   An annoying problem has been creeping in over the last few days in that the cold water in the house stops flowing. It's all driven by pumps in the cellar and when you turn the tap on, you can hear the pump kick in.

This is the pump and what?  Pressure tank as it's a negative head ?

The tank does have a meter on it and when the water stops (because the pump s not energised when the tap is turned on) I notice that the pressure on the meter has fallen.  To get round the problem, I momentarily open up this stopcock here and then the pump starts and the meter on the tank shows increased pressure.

I don't really understand how these things work. Does the tank have a diaphragm inside it with air under pressure on one side and water on the other ?  If the pressure is dropping then what?  A pinprick hole in that diaphragm?  How can I tell?

What if there was a slow leak in the cold water system somewhere ?  A leaky cistern stopcock, for example. I could see that slowly reducing the pressure such that when a tap was turned on there was not enough pressure inside the pressure tank to start the flow to make the motor run.

Have to confess that I don't really understand how it turns on and off....pressure sensitive switch as opposed to a flow magnet like to get in shower pumps ?

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Headrush
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 10

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Nottingham
United Kingdom

Trade: Plumber

Re: Water pump problem
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2017, 8:10pm

wow that's some kit you got there. If that tank is like you say an expansion vessel, I'm assuming there must be some kind of pressure release valve somewhere. And if there is, have you checked it's not leaking?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2017, 9:23pm

Headrush wrote on Feb 19th, 2017, 8:10pm:
wow that's some kit you got there. If that tank is like you say an expansion vessel, I'm assuming there must be some kind of pressure release valve somewhere. And if there is, have you checked it's not leaking?

I've come to the conclusion that it's the pressure switch and not the tank.  At least when I whack it, it bursts into life.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2017, 4:05pm

My money would be the contacts in the pressure switch failing. Might be possible to replace it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print