Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:24pm
Quote: Life is sexually transmitted.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moisture resistant plasterboarding in kitchen (Read 1886 times)
DIYNoob

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Moisture resistant plasterboarding in kitchen
May 10th, 2017, 11:00pm

Hi, we are currently in process of renovating our kitchen and need to plaster our walls. After lots of research online, I now know we should be using MR plaster board. Having never done this before (neither myself or husband), I just wanted to check a few things.

1) adhesive - is there any in particular best to use, i.e. pre-mixed or mix yourself or a specific brand?
2) is it ok to apply directly onto brickwork or do we need to do anything to wall first to prepare (old brickwork)
3) can we paint direct onto MR plasterboard or should we use a special primer first?

I appreciate any advice you can give on this as want to get it right.

Thank you  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Moisture resistant plasterboarding in kitchen
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2017, 7:56am

You shouldn't need to use moisture resistant board in a kitchen. Most kitchen cupboards would be destroyed by excessive moisture and with decent extraction there is no reason a kitchen would be any more moist than the living room.

1 if you want to bond the plasterboard to the wall buy a bag (or two or three, depending on the size of the room) of adhesive from your builders merchant.

2 as long as the wall is not damp you don't need to do anything to it. Plasterboard adhesive sticks like the proverbial!

3 I would always recommend you skim the plasterboard (and if you use MR plasterboard you need to use a primer first) but you can paint straight onto the board.

If you are not going to skim you will need to use feather edge boards and a proprietary jointing compound for all the joints.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

DIYNoob

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Moisture resistant plasterboarding in kitchen
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2017, 2:02pm

Thank you for your reply, really helpful.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print