Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:01am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Floor levels for integral V.SMALL garage/ store (Read 2101 times)
tibby99cat

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Floor levels for integral V.SMALL garage/ store
Nov 11th, 2017, 8:32am

What do we need to do, if anything? We have an extension (soon to be completed). The shell was built by the builder and we are managing the internal bits. The brief was to build our double story extension with a front store/garage which although small for a garage at 3.2 x 3m, it's ample storage and one day will be converted into further living space. It's been built in exactly the same way as the rest of the build with double cavity and insulation. It connects into a playroom which then connects into our home. I know we need a fire door to connect the two but my question reflects the 100mm step down or slope required in a garage. Do we need this as I want to keep my floor levels marrying up for our future conversion. I would be open to an upstand in the door threshold but do we need this if the store isn't even big enough for a car. One day when we have the money we will build a separate storage area and convert the current space into an office.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Floor levels for integral V.SMALL garage/ store
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2017, 9:54am

This should be detailed on the plans and is ultimately up to the building control officer. If it's a garage then you need a sill or change of floor level to prevent a flammable liquid from spreading from the garage into the house, if it's a store room you may well not need one. If you are forced to make a sill just cast one in concrete in a way that it can be easily knocked out if you want to change use in the future.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print