Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:22am
Quote: Spotted on the back of a T-shirt worn by a Bomb Squad official: "If you see me running, try to keep up!"

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wiring Canadian antique chandelier (Read 2108 times)
johnny808

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Wiring Canadian antique chandelier
Jul 29th, 2018, 6:33pm

I brought over from Canada an antique chandelier, which was wired in my Canadian home and worked fine. It has 6 light bulb sockets, the wires for which join into a single cable. As this was probably rewired a while back, the main cable only has 2 wire components, no ground. I want to hang it in my summerhouse (in the UK), which has standard electrical outlets. I bought some standard UK electrical cable, a plug, and a light switch. What I'm wondering is how to connect the UK cable (grounded) with the Canadian cable that has no ground wire. Is the lack of ground going to be a problem, and if so how to fix it ? Also, the Canadian cable has no indication of which of the two wires is the hot and which is the neutral, are they both interchangeable ? I do know I need to change the bulbs to UK ones. thanks for any info.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: Wiring Canadian antique chandelier
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2018, 8:34pm

Photos?

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Re: Wiring Canadian antique chandelier
Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 3:17pm

Indeed, photos required, plus is the fitting of all-metal construction apart from perhaps the shades?

If so, it'll need to be earthed by using 3 core cable, hence the request for photos.............

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print