Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 2:16am
Quote: Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the wall strong enough? (Read 2658 times)
Diychick

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Is the wall strong enough?
Aug 27th, 2018, 9:48pm

Hi all,
I’m in the middle of renovating my kitchen, I recently removed a door and the hole was plasterboarded and then plastered over. I’m hoping to mount a vertical radiator where the door used to be but not sure if the plasterboard is strong enough? It’s a stud wall but no studs where the door was (obviously!) however to get the radiator centered in the middle of the wall it would have to go over this plasterboard. Please can anyone advise?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: Is the wall strong enough?
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2018, 10:52pm

one should fit noggins to take the radiator brackets so depends on the weight, is the door still in place or did you build a stud wall in the gap

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2018, 8:15am

You can fit radiators onto sound plasterboard using hollow wall anchors but the plasterboard needs to be firmly fixed to studding. If it's a stud wall and someone plasterboarded over where there was previously a door they should have added some timber to brace the plasterboard. You can check by using a stud finder, set it on metal detection and look for the lines of screws.

IP Logged

Diychick

Ask The Trades

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2018, 8:45pm

thescruff wrote on Aug 27th, 2018, 10:52pm:
one should fit noggins to take the radiator brackets so depends on the weight, is the door still in place or did you build a stud wall in the gap

Hi thescruff, I got a builder in to plasterboard the wall. The door was removed and plasterboard added to each side in line with the wall. I’m not sure if he added extra beams or how he did it, now it’s been plastered over so I need to check into this. Thanks for the input Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Diychick

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2018, 8:48pm

woodsmith wrote on Aug 28th, 2018, 8:15am:
You can fit radiators onto sound plasterboard using hollow wall anchors but the plasterboard needs to be firmly fixed to studding. If it's a stud wall and someone plasterboarded over where there was previously a door they should have added some timber to brace the plasterboard. You can check by using a stud finder, set it on metal detection and look for the lines of screws.

Thanks woodsmith, I’ll defo need to get a stud finder as I’m not sure exactly what was done. Hopefully he did put some timber in the hole so it will be an easy fix!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2018, 10:21am

You maybe able to tap the plasterboard with your knuckle and hear any studs, as it will be a solid sound against a hollow sound.

could be horizontally or vertically

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print