Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:19pm
Quote: A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on - Samuel Goldwyn

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wall Insulation (Read 3285 times)
mike4369

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

S Wales, United Kingdom
S Wales
United Kingdom

Wall Insulation
Jan 15th, 2019, 5:22pm

Has anyone got recommendations on insulating a wall. I have looked at Graphine plus and WallrockKV600 (expensive!!)so far.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Wall Insulation
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2019, 11:50am

This type of insulation isn't thick enough to give any real thermal benefit. What they can be useful for is preventing cold spots where condensation and mould form but it often just moves it to another part of the room. They are soft and the surface is easily marked so most practical in alcoves or behind furniture where they won't be touched. If you insulate a wall to reduce condensation it can push the damp onto the ceiling and then it's very difficult to use this type of insulation on a ceiling. It may be worthwhile seeing if anyone has reviewed these products on amazon if you want to check which one is best.

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2019, 8:09am

For what it's worth I have always favored Celotex, The Spec is certainly among the best.

Like everything it ain't cheap.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2019, 2:22pm

Mike4369, I can't comment on the products you mention but...

Beware of companies offering "thin" insulation solutions. It's possible to generate a large percentage improvement compared to an existing uninsulated wall but the end result might still be very poor compared to say the current building regulations which you might be required to meet.  

PIR (polyisocyanurate) insulation as made by Celotex or Kingspan is one of the best raw materials in terms of its performance per mm of thickness. I think only Aerogel is better (but not much better) and quite a bit more expensive.

Pretty sure both Celotex and Kingspan will have application notes on their web site for insulating walls.

If you have a single brick wall then realistically you should be looking at something like >50-60mm of PIR and 12mm plasterboard. (Would have to check the regs for the exact thickness required). You can get insulated plasterboards with the two combined but they might be more expensive than separate.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2019, 9:41am

CWatters wrote on Jan 18th, 2019, 2:22pm:
.... You can get insulated plasterboards with the two combined but they might be more expensive than separate.

You can, yes.  But we had some with only about an inch of insulation and TBH t was a waste of time. Heat loss prevention is minimal compared to a decent 100mm of Kingspan.

Don't forget, Mike, that you need vapour barriers etc as well.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

mike4369

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0

S Wales, United Kingdom
S Wales
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2019, 11:49am

Just a bit more info. The insulation will be affixed to an outer wall in an upstairs bedroom - the wall is 2feet (approx) thick random stone, area of wall is about 100 sq ft and there is no damp. I had considered something like celotex but don't want to have to batten the wall and board over. Just a small % extra will suffice as its a spare room.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2019, 9:24pm

The wall thickness has no effect on heat loss.  If anything it might increase it.

I still say that a 25mm bit of insulation on plasterboard is pointless.  Especially as you don't have any condensation.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print