Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:13am
Quote: Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Damaged main supply cable (Read 3497 times)
harveys dad

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Damaged main supply cable
Feb 16th, 2019, 1:49pm

Doing up an old property which has been abandoned for 12 years. Remarkably NEDL advised that the property was ‘energised’ the supply is overhead from a pole which enters the loft space to a meter and fuse board on the first floor landing. Yesterday I pulled down the bedroom ceiling and the mains cable sagged( there seems to be a lot of it) and though it did not snag anything there was an audible crack and my joiner said a flash.  Not had a really close look but looks like the cable at some point has been squashed.
Am I right that an electrician is not able to repair it . Would it be repaired by jointing it  if so any idea of cost it is accessible and obviously no digging is required , if not I am about 30 metres from the pole so what cost for that cheers

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Re: Damaged main supply cable
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2019, 6:26pm

I can't answer your question but are you aware you there is reduced rate VAT if renovating a house that has been empty >10 years?

I believe this means anyone you hire to work on it should not charge you VAT. See Vat Notice 708 which instructs tradesmen what rate to charge on different building projects.

I don't think you can reclaim any VAT already paid in error or on materials but I might be wrong.

The only gotcha is that you cannot move in before work starts. That would mean the house hadn't been empty for >10 years before work started. However you can move in shortly after work starts.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2019, 8:26am

The DNO would cut the cable outside were it enters the loft and put a wall mounted joint, running a new service from there to the cutout.  They won't run a service cable internally to the building any longer.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

harveys dad

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2019, 6:51pm

Thanks both for the replies, yes I knew about the VAT as I’ve previously done a self build so am diligently recording every invoice

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2019, 12:53pm

I might be wrong but I don't think you can reclaim the VAT in the same way that you can for a self build (which I've also done).

I thought the only way to get the VAT "back" when refurbishing an empty property was to use a VAT registered builder and have them zero rate everything to you.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print