Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:58am
Quote: One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him - Jeffrey Bernard

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How much does it cost to build a house per sqr m (Read 1151 times)
Buildingadvice44

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

How much does it cost to build a house per sqr m
Aug 25th, 2019, 5:14pm

So I've been looking around for a while at building a small standard "affordable" 46 square meter bungalow up in scotland and I've been quoted 2,100 (£96,000 , 1,560 £71k before had another company say they charge 900 per sqr meter but that's a pre fab cabin company, of course all the companies I've looked at before have different standard's and expierence/abbilities, I'm now trying the route of just going through local companies and independant builders as well as learning some of the trade myself, I've spent the last couple of years working hard as hell trying to save for a possible build after looking at many different "affordable" building types ie tiny houses and cabins etc... of course I know I'll also have ground work cost, fittings etc.. below is a layout

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWpiPcGThfQ8UDzk8

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: How much does it cost to build a house per sqr m
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2019, 8:40am

Building costs vary wildly but a very rough guide is about £1500 per square metre but there are so many factors it's a bit like how long is a pice of string!

Looking at your plan if you are trying to get the best value per square metre I think you would be better with a square or rectangular plan rather than the L shape you have at the moment. If you took the living area wall back to level with the back of the house it would reduce the complexity of the roof whilst adding only a small amount of additional exterior wall. I appreciate you are planning a small house but the kitchen looks small especially as you have a table in there, by increasing the living space you could move the table out of the kitchen. Also I would look to open the shower room door into the room rather than into the hall as it looks very tight.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print