Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:20am
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Converting a garage that is linked next door (Read 1517 times)
Or1k

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Converting a garage that is linked next door
Apr 23rd, 2020, 9:37pm

Hi,

We 're in the process of buying a house and one of the selling points (for me at least) was the fact that it had a detached garage that I want to convert into a gym/games room for my son and I.

The garage is situated behind and to the side of our property with the garage door opening to the rear.

In the picture below our garage is (1) and the adjoining garage is (2).

Garages

It turns out that our garage is linked to the neighbours by, presumably, a single skin wall.

The roof is also 'shared' and looks to be the old cement based asbestos.

My questions are as follows:

- Is converting the garage still an option?
- If so, how do I go about changing the roof if it's 'shared'?  I was thinking of a pitched roof to give more internal room but I suspect that may not now be possible.
- I was going to remove the garage door, brick it up and double skin everything.  Is there anything special I would need to do to the linked wall?
- What sort of planning, etc. do I require?  I don't believe I need planning permission but obviously I must adhere to building regs.  Do I also need a party wall agreement?

Sorry for all the questions.

Kind regards,

Chris

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Converting a garage that is linked next door
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2020, 3:42pm

I think the roof is the big problem and would need cooperation from your neighbour to do anything about it. If it is asbestos they may be keen to replace it but I wouldn't imagine they would want to go to the expense of a pitched roof which you would need building consent for. Internal changes to a garage, that is not going to be an habitable room, would normally fall outside the need for planning or building consent.

Bricking up the garage door may need consent, but instead I'd be tempted to leave the door and just build an internal stud wall, which you can then insulate.

IP Logged

Or1k

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2020, 12:30pm

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

We've just had the survey done and the issue of the roof came up (amongst other things).

I think a pitched roof is out of the question so a sloping roof will be the solution (short side to short side) but I'd have to do the neighbours at the same time I assume as cutting the roof is a no-no given the construction material.

If the neighbour decides not to co-operate, where does that leave me?

I doubt a builder would want to touch the garage with a barge pole without replacing the roof and I certainly wouldn't be happy spending time in the garage with that roof above me.

Are there any legal requirements to replace the roof that I could fall back on to 'force' my neighbour to co-operate?  It would be a last resort as that's probably not the best way to start in a new house and I suspect I'd need to foot the bill for the entire roof if the neighbour was not initially co-operative.

Cheers.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2020, 8:51am

First thing I would do is contact the neighbour's, perhaps drop them a card detailing briefly what you would like to do and asking them to contact you to discuss your plans. If they aren't amenable or don't contact you then I'd walk away if converting the space is important to you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print