Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:35pm
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Storage Bench (Read 1970 times)
Davidm333

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Storage Bench
Nov 9th, 2020, 11:29pm

Storage Bench   

Evening all,

I’m looking for any advice on how to build a storage bench in the living room, similar to the one in the picture? Ideally to be put together using a combination of plywood, mdf and 2x4s - but open to all advice.

Cheers
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2020, 8:19am by Lectrician »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 1

Trade: Joiner

Re: Storage Bench
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2020, 8:24am

It looks like you could make this with mostly 18mm MDF with no need for a timber frame at all. If you wanted to make it bomb proof you could glue some 2x2 behind the corner joints but I don’t think it’s really necessary if you use decent screws. Glue and screw it all together and then cut strips of 6mm MDF which you glue on to create the panels and in the process cover the assembly screws as filling over screw heads can be a problem. For the seat I’d double up the MDF to make it 36mm. A few joints along the short dimension won’t matter so you can use up what MDF you have left for the lower piece as you won’t be able to see it once the seat is in place.

It would be worthwhile making a cutting list and getting as much of the MDF cut to size as possible unless you have access to machinery. And be careful when cutting MDF, wear a mask, as the dust can do you no good if you breathe it in.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Storage Bench
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2020, 4:34pm

I built something exactly like that for a waiting room a few years ago. Used 6" foam padding for the top but it still felt a bit hard.

I did use a frame as I had some 2x3" left from another project. I cut mdf to size then cut fixed the timber frame to that flat on the ground, then assembled it (eg instead of building a frame and cladding with mdf after).

On mine the top could be lifted off and the base used for storage.  

I used lengths of moulding glued and pinned on to simulate panels. Very effective when painted up.

Sorry I don't have any photos.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print