Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 8:42am
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leak in roof (Read 2470 times)
appletree

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Leak in roof
Jan 21st, 2021, 8:17pm

Image 1[gallery]appletree/1611260112.jpg

I had an extension done and gutted out one section to create an open plan living area.

The chimney breast was removed from the bottom and still beams were put in to hold up the chimney above the roofline.

I have had water ingress in. Builders are saying I need to repoin t the chimney and add a missing cowl.

I argued it was the lead work and after 10 months they came back and fixed that section. Yesterdays storm has now seen more water come through. I still think it is leadweok and will try post photos. It runs straight down the face of the chimney, through the roof and straight down to exposed brick.

Lead   

So water is running straight down the face of that directly to the ceiling line enternally.

Does the lead work look correct to you?

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Leak in roof
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2021, 9:20am

I can’t see anything obviously wrong with the lead or the pointing but if they say you need a cowl then that is the first thing to sort as it’s a relatively easy and cheap fix and first thing to try.

IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2021, 9:36am

Was this during the strong wind we've had over the last few days?  Could it be that the wind is blowing water underneath the flashing?

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2021, 11:20am

Can you zoom out and one of the sides, please.

It won't be internal if the water is running onto the ceiling unless the chimney is blocked solid

IP Logged

appletree

Ask The Trades

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2021, 6:15pm

thescruff wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021, 11:20am:
Can you zoom out and one of the sides, please.

It won't be internal if the water is running onto the ceiling unless the chimney is blocked solid

This is the only photo I have from the builder. There had been water coming straight through to the right. They fixed the lead work there and that stopped.

I would fix the cowl but they have quoted me £3000 to set up scaffolding and repoint the top half of the chimney which  they say they cant get to.

I'm reluctant to go by the builders assessment. This is the second time they have rebuilt my extension, after messing it up completely and solicitors were involved to get the original knocked down and redone. They have consistently blamed the chimney for any water ingress, but prior to them turning up onsite I've never had any issue
. And my neighbour whom I share this chimney with does not have any water issues either.

My theory is if fixing the lead work to the right rectified the first lead then if it is 30 cm from the last leak, then again it should be lead work issue again.

IP Logged

appletree

Ask The Trades

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2021, 6:17pm

Natedog wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021, 9:36am:
Was this during the strong wind we've had over the last few days?  Could it be that the wind is blowing water underneath the flashing?

Yes it was on Thursday. s it at all possible the water would run up a pitched roof?

IP Logged

Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2021, 9:50am

Strong wind can blow rainwater up under tiles if it blowing hard enough in exactly the right direction

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2021, 11:26am

The front apron is fine and the rest we can't see.

I'm worried about the top of the chimney though. if they have taken it down inside then the top should have been capped as part of the job, if they haven't then get back on to your solicitors.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print