Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:46am
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A quick question about mortar (Read 950 times)
Natedog

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 9
For This Post: 0

Swindon, United Kingdom
Swindon
United Kingdom

A quick question about mortar
Jan 22nd, 2021, 6:00pm

I'm going to replace these few missing bricks so I can chuck a couple of little shelfs up here to make better use of the space.  

It might be a daft question, but if the rest of the wall is built with lime mortar, is there any issue with just using a sand/cement mix for just doing this one little repair?  The bricks were removed when they were messing about with the roof back in the 90s.  Its the dividing wall between us and next door, I'm guessing its 2 bricks thick, I can't see why they would have built it any thicker than that

Cheers

Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: A quick question about mortar
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2021, 7:51am

If you use a cement mortar for this it’s likely to crack in the future, which is more unsightly than structurally problematic. Lime mortar breathes and allows some movement which cement mortar won’t. In this position it probably doesn’t matter and a 1:6 cement mortar would be fine. It is possible to buy bags of ready to mix lime mortar though (its a mix of lime and sharp sand or fine aggregate) and this would be better if you can find a local supplier.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print