Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:29am
Quote: There are two theories to arguing with women. Trust me, neither one works.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drilling into window recess (Read 1549 times)
cabrero

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Drilling into window recess
Aug 10th, 2021, 5:20pm

I have two pairs of upstairs sash windows and I want to fix some blind brackets in the top recesses of the front pair. I was assuming drilling holes wouldn't be a problem because the back pair already had brackets fixed in the top recesses. However when I tried, I got stuck because there is a metallic layer a couple of mm below the surface. So I assumed it wouldn't be possible and was about to abandon the idea, but then thought to check the recesses on the back windows, and they too have the metallic layer, and someone has managed to drill through them. Can anyone tell me what this layer is and whether it's okay or advisable to drill through it? If so does it need a special drill bit? It can't be a lintel as someone was suggesting because the metallic layer is also present on the side recesses.

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Drilling into window recess
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2021, 8:27am

I’m not sure what this metal layer is, possibly brackets that hold the window in place. As someone has already drilled through the back window it would appear to be ok to do the same, just use a metal twist drill bit. Alternatively you could stick, with a cartridge adhesive like Gripfill, smallish pads of 9mm, or thicker,  ply to the wall and then screw into that. If you cut them into a decorative shape once painted they wouldn’t be noticeable.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print