Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 3:14am
Quote: Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying - Arthur C. Clarke

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cap disused 6” flue chimney (Read 1037 times)
Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Cap disused 6” flue chimney
Aug 13th, 2021, 8:04pm

My 1978 house has a brick chimney from a boiler cupboard out through the roof.  Inside the brick chimney is a 6” concrete flue.

The boiler has long been decommissioned.  The cupboard isn’t used, but as we’re having a new kitchen, we’re intending to put a proper door on it, and use it as a “pantry”.

The chimney was for an old gas boiler, previously oil.  The top has a metal top, but moisture does find its way in when it rains.

I intend to put a circle of celotex top and bottom of the flue, and was hoping to cap it with something like the below, but can’t find it in 6”.

Image 232   

This isn’t my chimney, but it’s the same.

Image 233   

What’s available to cap and prevent rain on windy days entering?

Is capping with celotex top and bottom ok? Thinking of sweating?

Cheers.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Cap disused 6” flue chimney
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2021, 9:09am

If you are never going to use the flue again I would take the chimney down completely as they are a weak point in the roof as regards water penetration. We had ours taken down years ago and it wasn’t too expensive.

The one in the photo looks to have had the pot taken off and a gas flue fitted, this is going to make it more awkward to cap off as you do need to allow some ventilation. You can seal it at the bottom with celotex but not at the top so an option would be to reinstate the chimney pot and then you can use a cap like the one in your photo.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print