Quote: The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Old fireplace (Read 1779 times)
nikmans
GDPR opt-out

Old fireplace
Nov 17th, 2008, 10:17pm

I have a fireplace with tiled suround and chimney in my lounge with which is not currently being used. I would like to update and add something more modern. Am I able to buy a flatpack suite suitable for fla walls even though I have a hole in the wall?
If not what would you suggest would be best and cheapest option to update?

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Old fireplace
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2008, 8:32am

The simple answer is yes but..

What sort of fire do you want? Gas? wood burning? Back boiler? Best speak to a Corgi registered installer (for gas) or Hetas (for solid fuel) .  Tell them you are thinking of replacing an old fire and would like a quote and the chimney inspected for suitability. Do that before you do any bricking up of the old opening. Depending on the age, condition and the type of appliance the chimney might need to be lined.

Many fire shops will either employ a registered installer or will certainly know one. If you want to buy the fire yourself go direct to a registered installer and when he calls show them the brochure for the fire you have in mind and ask them to tell you exactly what flue kit is required. However I suspect most will probably prefer to supply and fit.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print