Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:45am
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting concrete (Read 5127 times)
kamog
GDPR opt-out

Painting concrete
May 19th, 2009, 7:22am

I need to gloss paint concrete and cement render. Is it true I have to use alkali resisteant primer? And how long do I wait before painting new concrete/cement render?

Your advice will be appreciated.

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: Painting concrete
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2009, 4:42pm

Yes, if you don't use alkali resisting primer before using an oil paint the paint will saponify, which means it will go soft and soapy.

Don't suppose there is a fixed amount of time before painting, but definitely wait enough time for the moisture to dry out.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

yoggo
Re: Painting concrete
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009, 7:37pm

I'd like to add my experience with painting a new concrete window sill about 2 years ago and ask a question.

I waited several months before painting, then used Dulux Trade Alkali resistant primer, when dry used Dulux Weathershield u/c and then Dulux Weathershield t/c. The top and undercoat have now cracked badly in places. I scraped all the loose off (it lifted very easily indeed in 'sheets' a few inches long by width of the flat scraper and I can see the original primer - looks was quite sound, uncracked, not dusty and quite dry. The underside of the scrapings had no trace of primer - looks just as if the u/c failed to stick to the primer. Anyone any ideas why or what I should do next?

The weather being hot and sunny I intended to wait until the sun had moved for the sill to be in shadow before deciding whether to scape more of the seemingly firm paint. By that time, about 2 hrs later, more t/c and u/c had lifted at the edges. The primer really does appear to be sound and there is not trace of it on the underside of the scrapings

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print