Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 26th, 2024, 6:34pm
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
installing dimmer switch (Read 1741 times)
sami
GDPR opt-out

installing dimmer switch
Oct 12th, 2014, 4:24pm

I want to replace a broken two gang normal light switch with a two gang dimmer switch. When I took the broken switch off the wall it pretty much fell apart at the back (bits of plastic everywhere!). There are three live brown wires and three neutral wires, plus three earths connected to the back of the box. The three neutral wires are in a junction box but I can't tell where the live wires were connected as everything fell apart (there is a small connecting piece of live wire that must have gone somewhere??). The two gang dimmer switch has x 2 connection boxes, each with an L1 and L2 and what I assume is common (a wavy line). Can any help me with this wiring? I've wired up quite a few switches and lights in my time but I'm struggling with this one and can't find any on-line help thus far. Oh, and this is a brand new house. Thanks all

IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 109
For This Post: 0

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Re: installing dimmer switch
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2014, 7:09pm

You need to determine which of the Browns is a permanent live.  This is best done with a meter.  Once you know which the permanent live is, you connect this to an
L1, and bridge both L1's together.  The two other Browns then go to the wavy line terminals (one to each).  If the switch works with the left/right in the wrong place, swap the wavy lines around, or turn the whole switch upside down.

Working out which is permanent live is tricky without a meter.

You could connect two Browns together with a terminal block, leaving one live unconnected and isolated from everything (metal back box etc), standing clear, turning power on.  If no lights come on, the UNconnected live is your permanent.  If a light does come on, switch the power off, and choose another two Browns until you find a connected pair that do not cause a light to light.  You then know the UNconnected core is your permanent live.

If you don't feel confident with doing this, dont!  You are essentially turning the power on with live wires exposed, which is not te safest, especially with kids and others running around etc.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print