Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:22am
Quote: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are foosteps on the moon - Paul Brandt

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
email notification (Read 3253 times)
greg
GDPR opt-out

email notification
Apr 28th, 2004, 6:44am

i dont seem to get email notification now, i tick the box when i post?

im on AOL if that helps

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: email notification
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2004, 8:23am

[quote author=greg  link=1083131090/0#0 date=1083131090]im on AOL if that helps [/quote]

That may well answer the query. I operate a web site for a customer and a short time ago he stopped receiving emails. I looked into it and the problem was that AOL had put up barriers to prevent spam getting into their mail servers. Unfortunately these barriers wiped out a goodly amount of email which should have been getting thru.

I transferred the customer to freeserve and all was resolved.

SS may be receiving notifications back that email has bounced off of AOL - you'll have to check with him about that.

I wouldn't touch AOL with Lynford Christies barge pole.

Andrew
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2004, 8:25am by HM »  

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

squiggle
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2004, 11:06am

I've had trouble sending to AOL email addresses. Around Christmas, I couldn't get a message to a freind through on my folkinfo, jonbanjo (which come from the same mail server so maybe it was an IP block) or freeuk account. In the end I ended up using Pip's freeserve account.

As for: Quote:
I wouldn't touch AOL with Lynford Christies barge pole

Nor me. Do they still insist on thier own software being installed for Internet use?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2004, 12:57pm

yeh, the mail server does have a problem with AOL accounts, and a few indervidual accounts.
we have no problem what so ever with yahoo, hotmail, freeserve, BT or blueyonda(just to name a few)

i couldent tell you if your mail is bouncing as i delete all the bounced mail, i would think it may be an idea to use a free mail service such as hotmail or yahoo for the forums until we can look into the problem more

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2004, 4:06pm

Many people don't get mail because of spam blockers. AOL is well known for this. If one or more disgruntled subscribers complaint then that email address is likely to be added to the ISPs spam list. Many ISPs and also individuals use spam blockers & may add an address or domain name to the blocked list.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print